Bite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bite

Hi , i have a 4 foot redtail boa and she is well looked after and fed well .But recently she has bitten my wife twice and my 11 year old son once and me once .I know she ain,t aggressive but wondered if it is common for boas to bite .I love her to bits and i would never trade her in for nothing .I also respect her and she is fed well and often .Any help would be much appreciated .

Re: Bite

Sometimes they get agressive if the temperature isn't correct. If you heat your room to 80 degrees, and block the air conditioning to the room, it will prevent drafts and make the cage the right temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by oliveradhd
      Hi , i have a 4 foot redtail boa and she is well looked after and fed well .But recently she has bitten my wife twice and my 11 year old son once and me once .I know she ain,t aggressive but wondered if it is common for boas to bite .I love her to bits and i would never trade her in for nothing .I also respect her and she is fed well and often .Any help would be much appreciated .
      Typically, when a boa goes from being docile to defensive it is because something in their environment has changed and they are stressed out about it.

Have you changed anything in her cage? or moved it? new hides?

Have you placed anything on or near her cage that could be causing vibrations? a fan or stereo speaker?

What is your set up? What kind of cage? what size? Hot side/cool side temps?

I knew a woman on another forum who's boa suddenly became extremely aggressive, stayed that way for a month, then went back to docile for a month, then got aggressive again. She finally figured out that it was a new brand of deoderant she was wearing. She saw the new brand on sale, tried it, and the boa got aggressive. She ran out, used her normal brand, the boa went back to normal. She bought the new brand again, boa went nuts again.

Moral of that story being: Boas are extremely sensitive to things humans are not, so look for things that may seem like a small change to you, they may be a huge stressful change for your boa.
      "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

I think the "typical bite" has to do with feeding or smelling like food. As if you just handled a rat or if the snake is in attack mode for feeding time.

Other times are if the snake feels/felt threatened...

Comment

Working...
        X