This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire???

Hi all. I'm gonna be using newspaper as a substarate for my new baby boa, and I noticed that the UTH under my 40 gal glass tank is getting the paper pretty warm and the glass under it is hot to the touch. I've never used newspaper before (I use reptile carpet for my ball python). Has anyone ever heard of newspaper catching on fire because of a UTH?
    Ted

Re:Fire???

First thing that comes to mind is this. Do you hae a reostat or a thermostat hooked up to you uth?

TAT 8)

Comment

No, it's just a standard repti-med (I think that's the name). No thermostat or anything.

Comment

You need to get a thermostat or a reostat or you will run the risk of getting the cage to hot and this will kill you boa. Trust me. Once you get a thermosatst or a reostat set it to the temp you wnat and you will be goood to go.

TAT 8)

Comment

I'll see if I can pick one up at petco. I'll just turn off the UTH for now. The 75 watt bulb keeps the tank plenty warm, I just need an alternative source of heat when I turn it off at night.

Comment

Hey Tofu,

First that heater should not get hot enough to start the paper of fire.. If it does, you have a faulty heater.. I agree with what Tat said, you should pick up a rheostat. If your are good with wiring, get a dimmer switch and hook it into the heaters wire. That would cost about 7 bucks.. If your not, get one from the local pet shop. I know PetCo here carries one from ZooMed. If you check they run them cheap on sale. It will control 2 plugs and its nothing more then a fancy dimmer switch, but its a cheap fix. BogAppleHerps carries much better ones, but you will pay for it..

Good Luck
            Steve

Comment

BTW.. The floor of the cage should get no hotter then 95 or so.. Don't let it get over 100 degrees..
              Steve

Comment

I've decided to go a different route altogether. The 75 watt white bulb is keeping the temp about 85 degrees, so my main concern is having a heat source at night. Soooooooo........I went and picked up a night time bulb. That way the ambiant temp will be consistantly warm without having to worry about the floor torching him. Any thoughts on that? Does that sort of setup work okay?

Comment

Hey ToFu,

In my opion belly heat is very importnat for a healthy boa. The 75 watt bulb will use more electric and will get much hotter then the UTH you mentioned.. I would just get a rhostat to tone the heat down on the UTH, and if needed, maybe get a CHE instead of a bulbm just make sure it is protected so your boa doesn't burn himself. Those get wicked hot..
                  Steve

Comment

i agree with steve the che's do get way hot i don't use them anymore for that fact. lol i use uth and a thermostat.

LEE

Comment

HI,
                      I had problems with Che's, CObra mats, and other heat sources , most heat is to hot when on after a very short time. SO some type of a thermostat and or rheostat is a requirement.
                      here's one I use in all three of my set ups its fairly cheap at big apples and can handle up to 500 watts and has a back up cut out if the thermostat fails

even with a cobra mat under thin plywood ( less conductive than glass)
                      I was seeing huge temp gradients without one. up to 120 degrees
                      Here's a 6/2 cage thats has to over head panels and two under the wood floor mats. see the tremendous gradients as it starts to cycle on.
                      the black probe near the thermometer is the sensor for the thermostat it works best about 1 in from the floor. This allows it to warm up and then coast back down.

with paper on the floor it feels a little warm but never reaches those really high temps.
                      Cobra says their heat pads cut out at 100, I ve had three go way over when new so I think that depends on if its glass or if the mat is covered under something without an air gap. this set up worked in a 40 critter for me once I covered about 1/2 the screen with either foam isulation or plexiglass to help hold humididty and heat. :P
                      doug

psps be real careful with lights I nearly melted my printer down with one as I popped the top on one of my cages, and I have read post about bulbs exploding and glass shrouds and pieces falling in the cage when someone splased the water dish one day. Probably a frisky boa.... :P

Comment

Gotta give my two cents here, LOL. Theres no way the paper will catch fire, even if the UTH if faulty. The UTH couldn't produce enough heat to catch the paper on fire unless you have it mashed between the tank and floor or something like that where theres no air movement between the UTH and whatever your tanks on and even then it's couldn't catch but like steve, tat, and lee said, get that heat source on a rheostat or a thermostat so you can keep the tank bottom and a constant temp so it wont overheat and burn your snakes belly. And I agree with steve, the belly heat is a little more important than the air heat but the two go hand in hand. Hope we were of some help. Good luck. 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X