This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question

Greetings all... First off I would like to say hello and commend you all on a friendly, informative community. I am about to purchase a BCI myself in the coming weeks and have been devouring any bit of information I can find. This will be my first snake, and I am very much looking forward to having one as a pet. I have raised several iguanas and a water monitor in years past, but currently only have a bulldog.... No Reptiles. I am building my cage and plan on purchasing a baby as soon as it is completed and I have had time to monitor the temp and condition of it for a few days.

Now for my question.... Is one sex of RTB better for a solo non-breeding (at least at this point) snake. I know females tend to be a bit larger in size when full grown but as far as temperment or health concerns??? Do females or males tend to have any traits that might make them a better choice for a first snake?

Thanks for answering my question.... I am sure you will see more from me in the next few days.

Re:Newbie Question

I've not noticed any differences in temperment between the two sexes. Regular handling ( after he/she is comfortable with the new home) should keep a freindly temperment.
    Good luck with your new purchase. It's good to see that you are researching this first.

Comment

now with bci's i haven't ran into any with a attitude at all never been struck at by any of my bci's. now bcc's (surinams,guyana,dumerils..etc.) i do know they are all nippy at first from expirience i had a 4' guyana that would strike at my face every time i had him out lol didn't bother me but i had to get rid of him due to my kids safety he liked to get out of his tank every once in a while with no attitude but boy if u did something wrong he would let u know it .

so i have found it easier for me to stick with bci's for a couple of years at least to get more expirience with them before going to bcc.

hope this helps...

LEE

Comment

O BY THE WAY WELCOME TO THE FORUMS.

LEE

Comment

Hey Sincity,

Welcome to the forums..

Like was said, there is normaly no difference in temperment with BCI and sex, atleast none that I ever noticed.. I do think females tend to be a bit more mellower, but that could be from their size..

Glad your doing research first.. Great luck..

Steve

Comment

Welcome!!

BCI's are great pets, I know you will just love her. Its great you got your research done ahead of time! Like what was said, I have also not seen a difference between males and females. I have a female BCI, (well I think, they only popped her for me when I bought her) and she is the sweetest thing. Good choice of snake.
            I wish you the best of luck with your new pet.

Comment

Thanks for the info.... I have decided to go with a female for my first one. After visiting the local hardware stores in town, I have decided to purchase a Boaphile tank. I would much rather start out with a tank that I know I will not have to fight with to maintain a proper environment. And the fact that the tanks can be expanded as my snake grows. Now I just have to decide if I want to start out with a 3 foot or a 4 foot.... I have already decided on the 17.5" tall model. I figured the extra height will allow me to add a few decorations for the snake.

Comment

Go with the 4 foot foot. Your boa will need that down the road, this way you ahve a tank the boa can live in her whole life...

Steve

Comment

GREAT CHOICE!!!

I have a Boaphile for my Boa, and man its great, no complints here. Go with the 4 footer with the expandable side. And getting the 17 inch tall one is alot better, I have the shorter one and wish I had gotten the taller one but its all good.

Some people have trouble getting the Temps right, if you do, just go to www.bigappleherp.com and buy there radiante heat panel, the biggest one. Take some duck tape and tape it to the inside top of the cage. Then you will have more than enough heat, ohh and make sure you get a thermostat, thats a must! 8)

Just so you know how simple Boaphile Plastics are-

I have constant humidity of 65-70 all day, all night, all year just by placing the water dish near the heat. And my temps are a steady 86-88 warm end- 82-84 cool end. Thats with the radiante heat panel and built in heat tape. And my snake sheds perfect sheds everytime!

Comment

Okay... I talked with Joel at Boaphile Plastics and am sending him out a money order for my cage. He estimates about 3 weeks for the delivery. Figures I decide to order the cage after they get slammed at the Daytona Show.

Now the real question...... How do I pass the time till my cage arrives and I can then finally go pick out my new girl? (I hate looking at all your lovely snakes and not having one myself.... Anyone live near Vegas where I could come and visit till my cage arrives? I need a surrogate snake to hold me over)

Comment

Great you ordered the cage.. i don't have any Boaphile cages, but they look great..

If you were in NY I would say come over.. Sorry
                      Steve

Comment

Ahh say what you mean steve...
                        lol J/King..
                        They are good cages.. I have herd of them being fragile...
                        So don't drop stuff on it... or anything like that... and you are good...
                        I lov' mine it is easy...
                        light.
                        and well... Just all around nice.... good choice...
                        Did you get the heat panel built right in,... I would if I was you...
                        Eric aka....Red

Comment

Hey I would be more then happy to set some up in the rescue room... Anyone have a stack they could send me, and yeah with the built in heat..)
                          Too funny Red.. Hey red is Wisdom in one of those..?

Steve

Comment

Not yet she will be in like a month...
                            I like them they are just easy... hehe
                            Then my corn snake will get its huge cage back... he look's so tiny in that cage...
                            Eric aka....Red

Comment

Welcome to the forums snakelover!!! Good choice in a cage, althought I built mine, which can be a pain in the *BLEEP* most of the time, the boaphile should last you a very long time. And that expandable cageing was a good idea as it lets you add on so later in her life you can get anotherone the same size and won't have to worry bout a bigger enclosure after that. Trust me, you'll learn plenty more here. I always do. 8)

Comment

Working...
                              X