This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros/Cons of buying adult boas

Most of the time people buy baby boas instead of adults. Some buy adults only.

Pros: buying adult means you don't have to wait 3-4 years to have a large snake.

Cons: You don't know how the husbandry was of the snake growing up. Also the snake doesn't know you and might feel stressed.

I would prefer to buy a large snake than wait for years to get a 6ft boa.

Re: Pros/Cons of buying adult boas

Another thing we have run into with obtaining the larger boas is that when it comes to their feeding regime.. They usually have not been fed like we feed em at all. Some have been fed live which can take a ,ong time to switch over to dead prey items.
    Also we have run into 9'ers that have been fed on just large [ or I call em medium rats] and we usually feed this size rabbits here. That also can be a PITA and time consuming to switch them over. \
    As for their temperament thing. It can take awhile to learn what it is like on a specific snake. AND... Dealing with a temperamental 9'er is a whole different thing than dealing with a lil baby that has a temperament issue going on lol.

Comment

HI,
      Lori at what point do you switch to rabbits, my guyana are approaching 6+ ft and are easily handling a jumbo rat. my female can handle two jumbo rats.. DO you start with a small rabbit try and match that weight to the jumbo's??
        I have read that many adults  boa's prefer rabbits once switched.
         doug
      here's holley post a couple jumbo's the only reason she got two was rudee was in the blue funk an I didn't notice until I put him in the feed chest and he rejected lunch..

Hi wish we could encourage people to adopt more sub adult boa's I saw three really nice 5-6ft adults today at the petsore. They were gorgous,, i need more cage's.... hehehe

Comment

8) A few weeks ago i took in a female BCI and she was supose to be only 7ft but meassured her out and sure enough shes over 7ft. She was only getting a large rat every few weeks. deffinately not enough food for her size, she needs to gain some weight so we put her on colossal rats to start and now shes on rabbits, she has no prob taking rabbits of the small size say 3 pounds or so.. I am very happy with her and shes sweet as pie.. But Lori is right on all of points she stated... And if you can give the right home and also provide the size cage and food that it needs then i would take one in.. Im just glad im giving this big girl a second chance. She loves her new big cage and all the love we give her..... ;D

Comment

Doug.. Basically we start em on rabbits once they reach about the 7' mark. On occasion we will feed a smaller rabbit to a smaller boa np though. I have really found np with switching them at all actually to rabbits either. About the only ones that we have had problems with like this are ones that were only fed a large rat like once every oh so many weeks or the ones that were fed on chickens..UGH. We have managed to eventually switch all that we have though at some point to rabbits. There are none larger than 7 1/2' here that feed on anything but rabbits. [ cept for one fussy burm that is that thinks rats are a gourmet meal for a 9-10' burm lol]

Comment

our first red tail when purchased was already 4+ feet and she was the sweetest little thing. now our sec ond red tail i purchased at 24 inches i have had her for about 3 months now and she is growing well she has grown to 33 and a half inches since i have gotten her and her diet is one small rat a week. i bought a baby because i wanted to watch her grow to an adult size and so i would know that she was always well taken care of and very very sweet and trusting. after her little wild attitude stopped shes is a sweet as all get out . we are in the process of buying our second baby well hes a yearling but coming from clay i know he is going to be a very sweet little thing i cant wait to get him. they are about the same size and they can grow up together.

Comment

Working...
            X