This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheres the poop?

Im sorry if you guys get asked this alot...I got my boa 2 weeks ago, fed him last week, 3 mice, and this week a rat. He hasnt defecated yet..whats going on? How long does the process usually take? Any advice would be greatly apprecited.

Re: wheres the poop?

Nothing to worry about, boas are masters of getting every little bit of nutrients out of each meal. Most will go for a month before they deficate. Mine usually has a month or so schedule where she doesn't deficate and then she soaks for a little bit and next thing you know the water dish needs to be cleaned.
    Good luck

Comment

p.s. check out clays care guides since you are new to boas they are great and will let you know everything you need to keep your boa healthy. ;D

Comment

Hi,
        Please check out the care sheets, boa's are designed to go a long time without feeding and over feeding can cause problems. Even a really young baby boa should only eat the correct size food item every 7 days never double up on feeding their digestion has stages and steps it must go thru to complete the process correctly.  AN Adult snake may only go once a
        month young snakes are usally more likely to go every 7to 14 days depending on the food size and cage humidty. A really dry snake can have problems being regular are you measuring humidty is the snakes water dish on the cool side of the cage some boa's will not drink hot water. My guyana only drink when i change the water.. they like fresh cool water.. picky little snakes..
         doug
        click below to visit care sheets
        [ftp]http://www.redtailboas.com/general_care/general_care.html[/ftp]

Comment

cool, I just got worried for a sec. Thanks guys for all the help. Ive been checking..skimming the care sheets almost daily, I want to make sure I do everything right, since this is my first snake. Again, thanks for all of your help.

Comment

Hmm.. How large is this this snake actually and what's it's girth also ? That will play a major role in just what you shpould be feeding the snake actually as it's prey item. From the sounds of it though.. with your snake having eaten 3 mice in the one feeding..and then only one rat in the next feeding...Your snake should most likely be fed a rat that is larger than a mouse. Just go by the girth rule for the prey and try and feed the snake only one prey item at a feeding. let us know how old the snake is and we can give you an idea of how often to feed the snake also by that.
            As for the snake not defacating at all yet. Snakes can utilize their whole prey item when needed and that's when you will most likely not see any defacation going on from the snake at all. Also if the snake gets constipated at all.. you won't be seeing any defacation at that time either.
            Bottom line.. get the snake feeding on a proper regime and you will note a difference in it's defacation scheduling also no doubt.
            Oh and as for how long it takes.. that all depends on the snake, husbandry and how much of the prey item the snake actually utilizes also. The time frame can vary from one snake to another of the same exact specie.

Comment

Working...
            X