This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinky rats

Hi all. Okay......I'm having the hardest time finding pinky rats here in Salem Oregon (at a decent price at least). I can find hopper mice at almost any pet store, but for some reason they just don't sell rats smaller than your normal everyday small rat. I want to get Sid eating rats as soon as possible. There's a herper here in town the sells pinkys for like $1.50 each. That seems pretty steep. I've seen some websites that have good prices, but the shipping charges (averaging over $20) is a bit much. I've done websearches, and the only ratteries I've found around here breed and sell fancy rats as pets. Any of you know of any rat breeders in Salem Oregon with decent priced pinks???? This guy I know with the $1.50 pinks only does discounts in large quantities and I only have one snake that would be eating them. Also, if I do end up having to go through this guy he only sells live. Whats the most humane way to pre kill rodents?? He said to just put 'em in a zip-lock bag and stick them in the freezer. Hmmmm.....call me a hippie, but it seems to me that freezing them to death isn't terribly humane.
    Ted

Re:Pinky rats

Hi tofu,..

To be honest buying just one pinkie rat, 1.50 is not really bad price.. You wanna fall down.. The pet store here sells any size mouse, pinkie to adult for 1.39 and sells pinkie rats and small rats for 3.99 each... Now the best way I find to kill pinkie rats without a big setup, is to put the pinkie in a clear plastic bag and slam the side with their head against a very hard surface...

Hope that helps..
    Steve

Comment

Well, I think I was just surprised after seeing websites advertising at 60 cents each. But then again, thats with bags of 100 and a 20$ + shipping charge. I guess I'll just get them through this guy here. I'd love to just get them pre killed and stick 'em in the the freezer, but I suppose I'll just put 'em out of their misery myself. Am I right in thinking that just sticking a bag of them in the freezer would just make them suffer needlessly?

Comment

The freezer method is very painful. it freezes and expans the white blood sell and was described to me as it feels like the skin is getting ripped apart.. You are much better thumping them.. Fast and painless..

BTW, I will alot of times go grab 20 rats of the right size for a specific boa and whack them all and bag and freeze them in seperate sandwich bad and then put all the bags in one freezer bag. And you will have a food supply waiting...

Steve

Comment

That's probably the way I'll do it. Thet way I don't have to make a trip across town every time I want to feed my snake. I thought freezing them to death sounded pretty evil. I can't believe he suggested that. Call me a hippie (no on second thought, don't), but even though it's gonna be food anyway I don't like to see any little critters suffer any longer than necessary. Thanks Steve.

Comment

hey tofu,

I am not into watching anything suffer.. Well a few people I know, but thats another story..LOL

Thumping them is fast.. They only way to go..

Steve

Comment

Well you can always get two rats... That should keep you in pinks good enuf for one boa...
              And to kill them just get a pice of dry ice and put it in a tupper ware container with water in all ready and put the litter of pinks in like a deli cup or somthing float it on the water a close the lid... It will probley pop open after a while but may not... that is fine..
              That way they just fall asleep and die in there sleep.. This way only works with about one litter at a time with out going bigger like buckets and stuff...
              Oh ya' you can get the dry ice from, cold storege places, dairys have it alot of the time, meat packing places, anyplace that sends cold stuff in the mail... and alot of other places...\
              ERic aka....Red

Comment

Working...
              X