This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice

Hello, I have two, 1 year old columbian red-tailed boa's and have been feeding them white mice for a while now. They are about 3 feet long but their girth is about the size of a 50 cent coin, maybe a little more slender. I feed them 1 mouse each every Saturday and was wondering when I should start feeding them bigger prey items. How big of a mouse or rat can they actually swallow? I have been using the advise I was given about feeding them mice that are the size of the thickest part of their body but I think they can handle more. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Also, when should I change their feeding times to every other week and then just once a month? Thanks for any help you offer....
    Scott Allen - http://usmc.teamfcf.com

Re:Need Advice

Hello FCF,

Personally I never feed any of my boas mice, not even the new borns.. I start them on pinkie rats and move up from there.. The best way to guage size it to take the rat, strech it out and look to match or slightly larger then your boas biggest girth area..I would say that if your boas girth is close to a 50 cent piece. You could easly feed small rats from petshops or weanling from say Rodentpro.. Petshop sizes are a tad smaller then big breeders...

Your boas at 3 foor and for the rest of its life should be on a every two week schedule..

Welcome to the forums Scott..

Hope this helps..

Steve

Comment

Well that is the right size...
      but I would go with rats.. they have more meat to them...
      Oh and have you red the care guide that is on this site... It tells you everything... really good more informative then anything I have read about boas ever....
      It is located right up at the upper house left hand side of the screen..
      Have fun...
      Eric aka....Red

Comment

My cage set up....
        Also, thx for the help ;D

Comment

Down right below the box that holds the text is a section that say attach before it and a button after it that says Browse... Ok... If you need more help IM (instant message) Sclark
          Eric aka....Red

Comment

Just hit reply instead of using the quick post box under the post.. At the bottom of the reply section, just click browse next to the attach part.. You can upload the image from your hard drive as long as its under 100k.. Or you could link from another location by typimg the following..

""[img]http://www.yourpiclocation/pic.jpg]"" without the "" and of corse putting in the true location of the image..

Hope this helps..
            Steve

Comment

8)Hello there Scott and welcome to the forums.. if your boas are a yr old like ya say they are then i would atleast go with small rats, like just weaned and on there own and then work up to alittle larger size over the course of several months.. You can insert pis by using the browser button when you posting..

Comment

holly crap those are your enclosers... THose are nice... looking great....
                ERic aka....Red

Comment

Can you guys clarify the frequency of feeding for me again? How often do you guys feed your snakes and am I feeding to often?

Comment

Well I try real hard to make them as comfortable as I can, after all they are family.

Comment

under 6 months, I feed weekly to 10 days depending on the snake.. Over 6 months they are eating every two weeks... I do the two week feedings for the rest of their life..

Hope this helps..

Steve.

Comment

8)wow Scott awsome beautiful cages you got there.... as for how often everyone has there own thing but goes by like what steve said me because your snakes have only been getting mice for such a long time they need to eat bigger prey and about every 7 to 10 days basicaly like steve said...

Comment

hey there fellow leather neck!
                          Were are you at in the world? I am 29palms
                          By the way welcome to the fourms. If I were you
                          I would move my snake to small rats every 2 weeks
                          I have mine on small rats every two wekks right now and am about to move my female to medium rats as soon as the small ones are gone. I will keep my male on small rats for a while longer just to insure that he stays a bit smaller than my female. I think that if you have a question it will get answered here in the fourms.

Semper FI
                          Cpl. Hanson

Comment

Thx for the comps, Barracuda. I think I'm going to try small rats this weekend. I buy them live so should I kill them first. Someone told me to hold them by their tail and then bash their head on the countertop to stun them then throw them in the feeder cage, is that what you do?

Comment

Hi tatdaddy, I'm at Camp Pendleton, I'm a GRUNT with 3/1 (Plt. Sgt.) KILL !!

Comment

Working...
                              X