Another Noob Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Noob Question

Okay, so I want to get a male colombian as my first boa. Thing is I have never gottena stright answer as to how long they usually get to be. One guy in one place tol me that the males would get to 10 feet(which even I now is crazy) and another guy in another place told me a male might get 5-6 feet. I'd like to know how long the thing is going to eventually be before I get it. I know they never actualy stop growing, but what is the average "max size" of a male colombian boa?

Re: Another Noob Question

They tend to be smaller then females... but if you feed them a bunch they can get fairly big. If you feed your male a decent feeding routine (for male boas... since females eat way more) then it wont be much longer then 5-6 feet. Most breeders like to keep their males at 4-5 feet in lenght. It keeps them lean and they usually are better breeders then the fat ones. Hope this helps.

Steve

Comment

I agree with Steve 100%. If your into purchasing a smaller Boa you might also want to consider a Nicaraguan Boa the males max out at 3-4', and the females usually get no longer that 5-6'. It would be very easy to house these smaller Boas. This will be very convienent as well, because we all know that Boas are like Lays potato chips. I bet you can't have just one.

Comment

I was gonna go with 7' as being about max size. I have a normal BCI that's 6'5" right now. I figured he'd max out around 7'.

Comment

Originally posted by spiderusmvmc View Post
          I was gonna go with 7' as being about max size. I have a normal BCI that's 6'5" right now. I figured he'd max out around 7'.
          Thats about the size of our big boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Death_ADDER View Post
            They tend to be smaller then females... but if you feed them a bunch they can get fairly big. If you feed your male a decent feeding routine (for male boas... since females eat way more) then it wont be much longer then 5-6 feet. Most breeders like to keep their males at 4-5 feet in lenght. It keeps them lean and they usually are better breeders then the fat ones. Hope this helps.

Steve
            Thanks. I'd like for him to stay around 6 feet, 7 is pushing it but is okay too. I'm even willing to deal with 8 feet if need be. If I get a yearling male, what and how often should I feed it as it grows so that it stays in 6-7 foot range?

Comment

R.W.W.,

The first snake we got was a baby male colombian boa for my husband. For the first year, I was worried about how big he would get and if I would be able to handle him (because I am a 5'3 female weighing 125 pounds). Now Prometheus (my male boa) is 4 foot long and is starting to bulk up some. Since I have had him since he was a baby, I am really comfortable with him and have no worries at all. Additionally, I am no longer worried about how big he will get because I know he will never reach the problematic size of a burmese or a retic. When people ask how big will they get, I believe they are truly asking not neccesarily how big the snake will get but if the snake will be manageable as an adult. Your snake will grow as much as you feed him. If you feed him a moderate amount of food once a week while a baby and then every 2 weeks while an adult, he will be smaller than if you feed a heavy meal once a week for his entire life. If you get a male boa, he will probably not reach a size that will be hard to handle. Remember my size I stated earlier - at the past reptile show, I got to hold a 6 year old female boa that was over 7 ft. I was so excited. I can't wait for my females to get that size!!!! I also can't wait for Prometheus to be full grown either.

Just remember - It is a comfort thing. If you watch him grow from a baby, it will be exciting and not intimidating.

Star

Intelligence is not how much you know, but knowing how to put the knowledge you have to use!

Comment

I would feet it a medium rat every 2 weeks. I wouldn't go much more then 1 large rat every 2 weeks and he will stay smaller.

Steve

Comment

HI,
                  I always tell people to not worry to much about size with Boa's They tend to be docile and easily handled. I have two BCC they are both over 7 ft, but not as thick as some BCI. They seem the perfect size.
                  The longer you keep boa's it will seem normal for them to be over 6 ft.
                  My only concern for most boa's owner's is they have a cage thats adequate and secure.
                  I was changing the water dishes today and my Male gave me a little sniff, I didn't worry he's never given me any trouble .
                  A problem with some of the larger pythons is their potential to overpower a single person so when you see and adult burme feed or retic it can be a little un-nerving, where most boa's are just trying to hang on and seem to have a fear of being picked up and dropped.
                  DOug
                  a 4 ft blood python can weigh three to four times what an adult boa weighs and can be an adventure to handle. SOme corns snakes can be pretty long but never really a big snake.
                  Last edited by Doug; 11-17-2007, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I can't wait for my snake to reach 4 or 5 feet.

I'm getting impatient. I've been feeding her every other week a large mouse. I figure they're pretty big, and since I've been doing this, she's actually been growing faster. But ****it! I'm impatient!

Comment

Originally posted by weird_science04 View Post
                      R.W.W.,

The first snake we got was a baby male colombian boa for my husband. For the first year, I was worried about how big he would get and if I would be able to handle him (because I am a 5'3 female weighing 125 pounds). Now Prometheus (my male boa) is 4 foot long and is starting to bulk up some. Since I have had him since he was a baby, I am really comfortable with him and have no worries at all. Additionally, I am no longer worried about how big he will get because I know he will never reach the problematic size of a burmese or a retic. When people ask how big will they get, I believe they are truly asking not neccesarily how big the snake will get but if the snake will be manageable as an adult. Your snake will grow as much as you feed him. If you feed him a moderate amount of food once a week while a baby and then every 2 weeks while an adult, he will be smaller than if you feed a heavy meal once a week for his entire life. If you get a male boa, he will probably not reach a size that will be hard to handle. Remember my size I stated earlier - at the past reptile show, I got to hold a 6 year old female boa that was over 7 ft. I was so excited. I can't wait for my females to get that size!!!! I also can't wait for Prometheus to be full grown either.

Just remember - It is a comfort thing. If you watch him grow from a baby, it will be exciting and not intimidating.

Star
                      Thank you so much! One question: At what size should I start feeding every other week instead of weekly?

Comment

R.W.W.,

When the snake reaches around 3-4 feet, you can start feeding him every 10 - 14 days.

Star

Intelligence is not how much you know, but knowing how to put the knowledge you have to use!

Comment

HI,
                          I see from your last post that you mentioned you were feeding mice, I would suggest feeding a rat product of the same size.
                          Many experts feel that mice have about 1/2 the protein a rat product does, and mice seem to have less bone mass.
                          Rats are the perfect for the boa and supply all the nutrition for their entire life.
                          Read that care sheet on this forum about feeding frequency and products.. Be sure to only feed fresh thawed rodents too, many worm larva will move into a snake if its a fresh killed rodent parasites are designed to survive the digestion process and move into the new host, your snake, freezing rats cause the formation of ice crystals that kill all larva, eggs, cyst of parasites in rodents and any mites or fleas the rats may have..
                          Doug

PS many petstores feed all kinds of food to their rats , most professional rat farms only feed a high grade rat food , that has the right mixture of vitamins, minerals, and fat for a healthy rodent. The rodents organs contain a life time of healthy eating of minerals, vitamins and other very important items when a snake eats a rat , he assimaltes the life long feeding of the rodent. cheep rat food cheep snake food. and may prevent things like healthy sheds and cause smelly wet poo, and other undesired effects.

http://rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_01.asp

list of food items and protein
                          http://rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_03.asp
                          Last edited by Doug; 11-18-2007, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X