This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad shed, what can I do?

One of my snakes shed last week and it was perfect. The younger, smaller male shed last night but it was spotty and he still has some older, rough skin on. I had my girlfriend get a wet towel and wrap him in it and let him slither out but there is still more dead skin on him. Do I leave it till next shed or is there a way to get it off without hurting him?

Also, I didn't realize he was so close to shedding yesterday and I had him out with me and the kids. He started striking at the kids while I was holding him. Is this probably just cause he was in shed mode and didn't want to be touched or do I have something to be worried about here?

Re:bad shed, what can I do?

ya' you want to leave your snakes alone when they are in shed... there skin is sensitive and it also can damage the new skin below... So yes that probley was the problem...
    Now as far as the partial shed you need to make sure your humidity guage is working right and that you have it up around 65% when in shed...
    around 60% normal.. If you have a analog guage then get should go to wal-mart and get an acurite indoor/outdoor/humidity digital guage...
    Now if there is not much on him and it is not on the belly, tail, or head then I would leave it and just give the snake a bath every few days intell the next shed or I would work it off... Just depends on how you feel.. But if it is on the head, tail, or belly you need to take it off...

Now a good way to get it loose is to put the snake in a snake bag with a wet towl... Now the contents of the bag should be mainly towl.. so that it is always wraped up in it... put the snake and the bag in the cage for about 8-12 hours and then let it out for like 4-8 hours and back in again if the shed is still not loose... when you put the bag in the cage it should be in the middle so it is not to cool or warm...
    Hope this helps...
    Eric aka....Red

Comment

I have the digital one from wal-mart, indoor and outdoor. I think it is the acurite model as well. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Also, when a snakes eyes are clouded over it can't see much of anything. Your kids, who are probably very familiar to your snake can't be identified very well during that time.

Comment

What I did with my python last time the same thing happened to was, I took a tupperware container that he could fit into, poked breathing holes all around the very top filled it with LUKE WARM water just below the holes (remember when you put the snake in the container the water level will rise so make sure the breathing holes are good to go) and closed the lid. I let him soak for about 30 minutes changing the water about 3 times to keep it LUKE WARM and the partial shed that was left came right off super easy. Just another suggestion............Scott

Comment

Just another suggestion to help the shed both before and after shed..

When my snakes cloud up, meaning their eyes go blue. I carefully lift them out and place them in a luke cool bath for an hour. Then carefully place them back in their cage. Keep humidity to 65% till after the shed.. Should give a nice clean shed..

OK after the snake shed and you still have patches of skin left.. I would suggest soaking like I said above for an hour, only this time after the soak, use a wet wash cloth and let the snake slither in it. Works most of the time..

If you find the snake has hard sheds even though humidity is correct. get some Four Paws Reptile Viat spray and use once a week as the instructions suggest. It will help alot, pl-us it makes the skin like silk..

Hope this helps..

Steve

Comment

Hey Steve why do you do luke cold? Just wondering.............Scott

Comment

Well remember our body temp is 98.6.. So if it feels just a tade cool, its perfect for the snake.. If it feels warm its hot for the snake. You will see when mine get a bath, if its a tad warm, they jurk away from the water..

Does that make sence?

Steve

Comment

Steves right, make the water luke cold. It may seem too cold to the touch but its just right for the boa. Thats a good sign that the water is too warm, the jerking away from the water. If that happens, just put a LITTLE cold water in the bowl. Just make sure it's not too cold. Hope this helped. 8)

Comment

Well not really. When the water is warm to the touch for me, my snakes don't jerk or try to get out of the water. I thought that the warm water actually felt good for them because they're cold blooded, they seem to like it. I'm gunna try to luke cold water and see if they act different.........Scott

Comment

Hey try Shed-ease by herpcare. Its great. Works wonders when my lizards have shed problems.

Comment

just an update for you guys. I worked with him with a wet towel and spray bottle all night. I go pretty much all of it off the top half but I didn't want to be pulling on it so I figured I would let him work it a bit himself. After leaving him in his temporary 20 Gallon tank and watching him work a nice 2 inch roll up I decided to help again. I just kept spraying him with hot water, like the guide says the hot water is cool when it is sprayed, and I held on to the roll. He worked his way out of it in about 5 minutes.

Comment

Cool, im glad its working for ya.

Comment

Well lets look at perfect temps for the boa in general. The warm end should not get above 92. So putting a snake in water that feels warm to your touch will be over 100 degrees. That kind of temp is no good for a snake.. The jerking is just one possible.. Most of my snakes do it. But all snakes are different.. Remember a snake will not detect tempature that fast. Think of all the snake that get burns. most of those burns are from longer periods on hot temps. By the time they realize they are getting burned, its too late.. Putting a snake in real warm water is doing noting more then slowly cooking the snake. Snakes put up with alot of things we can't understand why they do it.. Think of a snake that just lays there while a rat or mouse chew on the snake for 20 mins, when the snake could just as easy turn and kill the prey. So its upto us to play mom with them.. Hey thats half the fun of snakes..

Steve

Comment

I personly have a temp gun and use it to messure the temps of everything...
                              the water for soaking, rats after thawing, check to make sure my thermomiters are still working right... I even check my snakes with it so see if they are thermal regulating corectly...
                              Jeff ronne said you can tell that your snake is prego. if it is warmer...(I don't know the exact temp..)
                              I like it give peace of mind... I got mine from radioshack
                              it was perty cheap... Like 30 bucks....
                              Eric aka....Red

Comment

Working...
                              X