X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power feeding

Hey you guys,
    I made a tough decision today. I got rid of my red tail in exchange for a much younger one. This came after some more feeding frustrations. The guy a the pet store said that my boa probably wouldnt get much bigger than his already 4 to 5 foot length. Honestly, I feel bad for just trading him like that but Ive been back and fourth with him for a long time, something tells me that I got him at an age where there was a problem before I came a long. I figured since I did like having a snake, and that I didnt necesarrly try to just get out of snakes altogether, and although I did kinda make a decision on whether it was good or bad i dont know yet, I decided to make an even trade for a baby boa. The guy at the pet store said he was about 6 to 7 months but he seems much younger....still young enough to pop to check for his sex. Hes prolly 1 foot long at the very most IF that. Seeing how hes young and not set in his ways, it will be easy for me to get him use to me and have him a steady environment, not to mention converting him to dead prey. I already have a head start in fact, last night he ate a mouse that was killed by a reticulated youth and when the mouse was dangled before him he constricted it and ate it and it was already dead. my point is what is the best feeding schedule for me to follow, ive been thinking of two mice a week whiles hes young and eventually 1 rat a week when hes older? BUT i dont want to power feed, i mean it would suck to have one snake that wouldnt eat and then powerfeed another, anyways reply back!~

Re: Power feeding

A good feeding schedule for young boas is every 7-10 days. You could feed one prey item equal to the girth of the snake the first week, then two prey items equal to the normal prey every other feeding. Personally, I like to feed you prey item equal to the snake's girth per feeding rather than two prey items every other feeding.

Comment

Yep Xzylum got it right. You don't want to feen more than 1 item at a time and only items that are the same girth as the snakes largest area. I feed mine every 7 days. This way you will advoid the snake regurging as boas will do this if they prey item is too big because they tend to have sensitive stomachs. When the snake stops grwing then you can move it onto a 10-14 day feeding cycle.
      By the way what type of boa is yours, sounds kinda small to begin with?

Comment

HI,
         Would you mind describing you cage in  great lenghts many times boa can become problem feeders because one little thing aint right in the cage. If your feeding fresh killed you may want to change to fresh thawed asap, any parasites that are stil alive and or their ova can be transfered to your reptile by eating the fresh killed mouse or rat. .I had an argentine boa that was a return to the pet storea poor feeder and such under weight and small for her age. I took her to my reptile vet he gave her a good worming VIA stomach tube and he told me if I feed fresh thawed rats she would never catch them worms again.Ps the arggie doubled her weight and size in a couple months the worm parasites  were getting all the food. I have been thawing rats for a couple years now and I have never had a positive stool on any of my snakes for worms and or their larva.

Most snake that are maimed by rodents are from thumped stunned thought dead rats that some how come back to life and are really in a bad mood. .
          Boa's should only be fed rat products mices are for king snakes corns and such... Rats have more  protein per ounce. and can be purchased in the right size for the age of the snake. Even a young hog island can handle a pinky rat pup..check the care sheets they got all kinds of useful info click below
          doug
        [ftp]http://www.redtailboas.com/general_care/general_care.html[/ftp]

Comment

Working...
        X