• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using tree limbs?

Hey Guys...

If I were to collect some branches from outside to use in my
    boa's enclosure for her to climb on how should I prepare them
    so they're parasite/insect free? Soak in bleach?

Re: Using tree limbs?

Hi Todd, I get stuff from my local woods all the time, I prep them by first washing them in very hot water, then if thay will fit in my oven I bake them at 200c, if not I either soak them in hot water and milton, compleatly submerged for an hour or two, or I place the item in a bin bag with a pest strip and seal the bag up for a few days, then let the item air before useing it. By the way milton is used for steralizing baby bottles and such, I also use this to clean my viv's. ;D

Comment

Thanks Luke! By the way, where do you buy Milton at?

Comment

Hey Guys...

If I were to collect some branches from outside to use in my
        boa's enclosure for her to climb on how should I prepare them
        so they're parasite/insect free? Soak in bleach?
        What I usually do and I have done this with my lizards I put them in the tub and boil about 3 good size pots of water. I let them get to a big boil before I remove them. Then I just pour it over the branches leaving not one spot untouched. Thats how I do it. And I have never had a problem. Hope that helps! ;D

Comment

8)I preffer to strip the bark off the branches befour using and then soak for few hrs in a tub full of boiling water that has a half cup bleach, 2 teaspoons dawn dish liquid and few good shakes of some non iodiezed table salt over the branch, let soak for few then lightly scrub with a pad and then let sit in rinse water for awhile and then re rinse with fresh hot water..I know it sounds like alot but it dont take long, it kills everything!!! and depending on the wood makes it look nice... Most the time i go down to lake Michigan and along the water front theres alot of beautiful beach wood thats been naturaly bleached out and its very pretty to use... s1.gif s31.gif

Comment

OK, I understand the bleach and the soap, but why the salt?

Comment

lol i was thinking the same thing just didnt post it went to looking around the site to see if it was mentioned anywhere didnt find anything about salt never heard of that myself either

Comment

I don't know, maybe it's to melt any slugs!!!! LMAO!!!

Comment

;D Hahahaha!! very funny.. really you didnt know that salt kills alot of stuff and helps stop mold from growing on tree branches and logs.. sometimes it works and sometimes it dont but it helps to atleast use it... LOL!!!!

Comment

All I knew was that it taste real good on fries and it stings like s5.gif when you get it into a cut!!!! But I guess that makes since about the killing stuff and protecting the wood. Kind of a perservative.

Comment

I think Luke's idea of "baking" is a key point to outdoor natural wood. Although difficult, this process would dry out the wood and kill, hopefully, all the parasites..

Avoid any and all evergreens, and use hardwoods like oak, and just be prepared to throw them out every so often... Unless a wood product is cured, it can mold, weep sap, and deteriorate very quickly.
                      To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                      -Clay English
                      Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

I personally like to soak outdoor wood in a bleach solution several times, then rinse well, let air dry, and then bake in the oven. Seems to work for me.

Comment

THANKS guys for all the insight. I'm going for a walk
                          in the woods this weekend to gather some branches! By the way,
                          bake at 200c for how long?

Comment

I'll go with about 30 minutes and up. Just make sure you keep an eye on it so it doesn't start a fire. That's the last thing you would want to happen. ;D

Comment

Working...
                            X