Aggressive babies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressive babies?

Ok so I've had boas for many years now my oldest is going on 8 yrs old and i have never once dealt with aggression, i can pick up my boas out of the feeding bucket with out ever worrying about being tagged and same when there in the blue.
    I just got 2 new baby girls and there mean they would take my nose off if they could lol and when they shed they hiss so loudly whats up?

Re: Aggressive babies?

i would not worry let them settle in the start taking them out the aggression will pass. And worst case if you do get tagged its not that bad.

Comment

i've had them for about a month now and when i hold them there fine it's like when i remnove them from the feeding tub or when there in the blue i haven't ever seen or heard anything like it i feel like these girls are so unperdictable..lol but there soo beautiful so i guess iwill just get over it..lol thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by JENDEE View Post
        i've had them for about a month now and when i hold them there fine it's like when i remnove them from the feeding tub or when there in the blue i haven't ever seen or heard anything like it i feel like these girls are so unperdictable..lol but there soo beautiful so i guess iwill just get over it..lol thank you!!
        I wouldn't worry about that at all. A lot of snakes are more aggressive after being fed or during a shed. Especially babies. That is their most vulnerable time.

Comment

You cant let them intimidate you either. If they start hissing and biting at you and you dont pick them up then they know it scares you and they have won. Try using gloves to take them out and hold them and they will slowly get used to you. You can also put a shirt that youve been wearing and put in their cage so they get used to you

Comment

Wow ive heard of puppies calming down from scent and never thought about using this on a boa. I bet it wouldnt hurt thought. especialy on a baby or an adault. I am working the thread on (Agressive periavion rescue) and thats not a bad idea to try. cant hurt. also I had a new born this last fall that sounded like a truck tire with a knife in it. lol . just dont give up on them there gonna be OK..

Comment

y do you use a feeding tub? If you use substrate other then newspaper or papertowl i understand, but if not feeding in the cage will avoid those times right after feed. I really think its a myth about the snake associating the opening of the cage with food. i feed everything i have 17 snakes at the moment in the cage and i have never had a problem and have never been bit by any of my snakes.

Comment

Originally posted by myzoo View Post
                I really think its a myth about the snake associating the opening of the cage with food. i feed everything i have 17 snakes at the moment in the cage and i have never had a problem and have never been bit by any of my snakes.
                I agree. In fact the only problems I have ever had was while trying to put the snake back in its enclosure. I quite that real fast. funny thing is that I can and have(testing a theory) placed my hands in front of my snakes right before or after eating while in their tanks and they pay no attention to me. I think feeding in separate tubs makes them feel insecure because they are in unfamiliar territory. Just my opinion.

Comment

does that shirt trick really work? I am getting desperate to tame my anery my hubby is really pushing to get rid of him because he is mean. I guess I will give it a try.
                  helen

Comment

Originally posted by corrine1 View Post
                    does that shirt trick really work? I am getting desperate to tame my anery my hubby is really pushing to get rid of him because he is mean. I guess I will give it a try.
                    helen
                    Yes, it does work.

Steve

Comment

Don't lose hope. I got a beautiful baby Colombian earlier this year, and it was a little chainsaw from day one. It was striking at the glass, hissing when I would open the cage, and trying so hard to tag me that I had to wear gloves. I had even given it adequate time to get used to its environment before trying to handle it. I was really concerned, but I refused to give up and kept handling it. It would strike the gloves of the fingers, lunge at my face, everything. I was on the verge of getting rid of it, because it truly was that much of a little monster. However, about a month ago it stopped striking at me (AMEN!!!!). 2 weeks ago, it quit hissing at me. I'm still being cautious, but I don't dread this thing anymore and can tell it's finally ready to play nice without me having to put on gloves. Good luck.

Comment

Well Thank U That Gives Me Renewed Hope And Determination

Comment

HI,
                          I ve had many baby boa's the commons are the best babies, My BCC were the worst with my Hog Islands a close second.
                          I had a female hog island who I expected an attitude in the cage, and usally go it but was very nice out.
                          My Guyana baby Hissed like a Cobra and would jump in the air to strike me.
                          Now shes puppy dog sweet only moans once in while if I pull her out.
                          Never aggresion ,
                          I think most baby boa's are instinctively hostile cause its a normal response to stress if your nice ,your lunch.
                          Many boa breeders are very busy and don't handle those babies ( some believe handling may cause feeding problems), so when you get them you may be the first person to actually try and grab them .
                          I have used hand towels with babies to lift them out, never been tagged out of the cage.
                          Try and expain that fear is normal and aggresion is defense reaction wired in the animal at birth trust is learned some animals take more time.
                          My guyana took almost 6mos.
                          Doug

Comment

Working...
                          X