X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please

hi,
    my name is matt, obviously im new to the forum. im planning on getting a new RT and need your help for giving him the best enviornment possible. I have a 55 gallon glass fish tank and am planning on using that for his home. i have allready purchased a heat lamp, driftwood, and a water bowl. im planning on using repti bark for substrate and feedin frozen rats. i was wondering what your opinions on cage setup/cage requirments/keeping humitity levels correct/and any other ideas you had that might help me. I bought the lamp with a 250w max but was wondering if i keep that on 24/7 i have been reading about the undertank heaters and was curious about them. i just want to make sure i have everything right before i buy the snake.

thanks for your help.

Re: help please

Here are a couple links that will have all the info you need...
    http://www.redtailboas.com/general_c...eral_care.html

http://www.redtailboas.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1038532033
    Well I hope I could help...
    Eric aka....Red

Comment

I would sugest buying a Boaphile cage from www.Theboaphile.com. They are great for holding in the heat and humidity. You are buying a snake that gets very large, and will one day require alot of space. So might as well save up and get there biggest cage so you dont have to later.

Comment

i think you will find it very hard to maintain a constant temps and good humidity in an aquarium. they just lose too much heat and humidity. you will definately need a thermostat for your che also. if you can't afford a boaphile cage, you'll need to find some way of covering the cage or all the heat will escape out the top. there's a great thread on this forum somewhere that deals with a lot of the problems with aquariums.

Comment

here's the thread i was talking about: http://www.redtailboas.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1038532033
          also, did you by a 250w bulb or ceramic heat emitter (che)? if you bought a bulb, you're going to have trouble at night when it's off.

Comment

If your only option is the 55 gallon aquarium, then you really must purchase a good under the tank heater (UTH). It usually takes a combination of the UTH and another heat source from above, preferably a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) to properly control the temperature gradient.

Also as other people have mentioned, it is extremely hard to control the temps and humidity in an all glass aquarium, so you will need to use a covering of some kind to cover at least half of the top. An effort to capture the heat is the only way to regulate and maintain humidity.

There is a post here somewhere by Doug called the 40 critter tank, and he covers all aspects of how best to utilize the all glass enclosure.

Good luck
            To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
            -Clay English
            Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

ahhh clay, great minds think alike ;D

Comment

Ya that was the link I provided just so you know...
                Eric aka....Red

Comment

Working...
                X