X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUBSTRATE Question...what do you use?

Hello all.

Question, I am using T-Rex brand Forest Bed Expandable Substrate which is labeled 100% Organic, Harmless If Ingested...can be found
    at www.t-rexproducts.com

(I am still feeding her however in another tank to minimize the potential for her to ingest any of the bedding while consuming her meals).

I really like it because it retains moisture & seems/appears to most
    closely resemble substrates indiginous to Boa's natural habitat.

I was curious what you all are using & other kinds of recommended
    substrates (besides newspaper). THANKS! Have a good week!

Re: SUBSTRATE Question...what do you use?

I use aspen. But as long as your snake like it and it is nontoxic and you don't feed on it stick with it if you like it.

Comment

i used calci-sand its not narmful if swallowed accidentally and it has vitamins and things in it but i feed in a rubbermaid container so she never gets the chance to swallow it while eating.

Comment

I've started using just plain old newspaper. Though it does not look as nice as some of the other stuff you could use, it is much easier to clean up, there for more sanitary. Plus it's very cheap!!!!!!! I mean about $2.00 for sunday's paper and that'll last me for about a month or so for one cage. Of course depending on how many times they decide to go to the bathroom or spill the water dish!!!!!! Just be sure to only use the newspaper part, not the inserts. The Inks have a tendency to run with the slicks that everyone uses for ads.

Comment

i used to use aspen religiously. over the last month i have switched over too cypress mulch. it raises the humidity in my tree boa cage, and my green tree python cage to perfect levels. in the last two weeks i started using it in my ball python cage and now in my red tail's cage. it retains humidty better than any other substrate i have used and spot cleaning is also very easy. not too mention i can buy a huge bag of this stuff for very cheap.

Comment

Cypress mulch sounds like a good substrate...the T-Rex substrate is alot
            like mulch, however ALOT more expensive.

Comment

Hey if you are looking for a cheaper substrate that looks slightly better than newspaper I suggest paper towels. They are easy as newspaper but they do not mold as easily and tend to hold more humidity when ocasionally misted. I have used them for a year and have had no problems. Just a thought.

Comment

8) Hey Todd, what are you using this bedding for?? Sypress mulch is very good to use just make sure you bake it first to kill all bugs and bacteria, then you can get it moist.. In my cages i use indoor outdoor carpet at one end with news paper under it and at the other end of the cage i use the cypress mulch, that way my snakes can go on what they preffer.. never had any probs with this type of layout. Sypress mulch here comes in a 25 pound bags 4 for $10 bucks, depends on where ya get it and where ya live..Now for my plated lizard i use peatmoss mix and then Schultz western fir bark on top of that and he loves it.

Comment

Hey Barracuda,

I am using T-Rex brand Forest Bed Expandable Substrate which is labeled 100% Organic, Harmless If Ingested...can be found
                  at www.t-rexproducts.com

I like this stuff alot.

Comment

I am currently using cypress mulch, but I still do use newspaper in some cages.

To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                    -Clay English
                    Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

s8.gif Hey Clay, looks like ya got a nice breeding going on there in the pic.. LOL!! The cypress mulch that i get and use has wider and smaller chunks than yours and not as pointy and shreded on the ends.. Wish i had a pic to show you of it,, but i still like to use it for certian cages... Still a nice shot there Clay!!! ;D

Comment

i use nature bark, it says it is used for the iguana and blood pythons and stuff, but i use it for my boa and baby corns. for the big breeder corns i use aspen, cause it is easier to get the after effects of breeding out. i just started using carefresh(compresed recycled paper) with my kingsnake and she enjoys it. but by far nature bark is what i like the best. i still spray a little puff of sawyers tick spray in it before i use it, just inc ase.

froggy

Comment

for those who are using cyprus mulch, are you using anything underneath it? like are you putting down a layer of peatmoss or cocopeat, then the mulch or what?

I'm thinking about switching to the cyprus mulch for humidity reasons. I currently use ZooMed's Repti-bark, and have been having a hell of a time with keeping the humidity in the tank above 40%.

And I've tried just about everything short of a misting system in that tank (which I don't want to use in fear of causing belly rot or something). Here is what my tank is currently operating with:

ambient temperature inside tank (right in the middle of the back wall of the tank) is between 80 and 83 degrees.

cool side changes between 77 and 81 degrees.
                          warm side changes between 83 and 88 degrees.

the humidity across the tank varies from 38% through 50% depending on when I mist the tank, when the lights are off, etc.

The lid of the tank is only allowing a very small amount of ventilation on the cool side (to keep the warm air out of that side for the most part) Once I can get a picture of the tank, I'll try to do that if it helps.

On the warm side, I have setup a "moss box". I keep the water bowl on the cool side. The hide is in the middle at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do to possibly get things more stable and regular? Sorry for changing the topic of this thread a bit. Lots of questions here!

Comment

I can't see myself using anything other than newspaper. Its just a snap to clean up. I don't have time to take out all the wood chips, barks,etc. It looks nice but you will spend much more time cleaning the cage compared to the good old fish wrap.

Comment

I agree with Clone. Newspaper is by far and away the easiest, although I do use Aspen for my corn snake, but I don't ahve to clean it as often as my boa or ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X