Will my snake eat my cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my snake eat my cat?

Now, of COURSE I know the answer to that one! If given the chance, and if the snake is big enough, then yes.

But..... (did you notice I always have a 'but' in my posts?)
    Do snakes differentiate the prey smell from the furry warm animal smell?

For instance:
    I used to raise & show Jack Russell Terriers. These dogs are bred to hunt. Therefore, I used to tell my new puppy owners that the dog will definately chase, and/or harm the cat (or other small furry animal; rabbit, hamster, etc.) In other words, if it moved and had fur, the dogs chased it. The same with never letting it off-lead when not hunting. The dogs' hunting instincts are so strong, it WILL go off and hunt. Period.

This thought led me think about my boas, and if the same theory applied to them. (about the smell/instinct thing, not letting it off-lead. I never use a leash when I take my boas out. In fact, I don't think they make boa leashes! )

Let me know what you-all think.
    And....... GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!

Re: Will my snake eat my cat?

Well I would think that snakes being such simple minded animals and led completly by instinct, if there is a warm blood animal small enough to eat and hungry enough to hunt it would take the chance for granted. I don't think it's a there is warm and fuzzy and I'm a predator thing, I think it's a there is food and I'm hungry thing, atleast for a snake. I don't know if were on the same page, like me answering your thoughts. Simply my 2 ¢

Comment

I would think that a snake would attempt to eat a cat if the opportunity and circunstances were right. An adult cat however, is probably more dangerous to the boa than the other way around. i don't laet my cats in when the snakes are out, not to protect the cat, but to protect my snakes...

-Sean in NoCal
      “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
      -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
        I would think that a snake would attempt to eat a cat if the opportunity and circunstances were right. An adult cat however, is probably more dangerous to the boa than the other way around. i don't laet my cats in when the snakes are out, not to protect the cat, but to protect my snakes...
        I disagree with that statement, the cat will definitely get killed one on one with an adult boa constrictor(especially a boa that's out on the hunt, thinking the cat is food...)
        Of course the boa will get scratches and bites, but the cat will die, so which is worse? An injury, or death?

A Snake is not prejudice against it's food
        It will eat anything that's warmblooded if it's hungry, especially since cats are not generally that much bigger than rabbits.

Comment

Simple minded..SIMPLE MINDED....

Did you all hear that...our babies were just called simple minded....

Someone get the "feathers"...while I warm up the "tar"

Comment

Boas are oportunistic feeders. They had a story on animal planet a while back where a boa had escaped and eaten the neighbors dog as it came out the doggy door. I definately think if the boa's big enough it would eat a cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Kollindyr View Post
              I disagree with that statement, the cat will definitely get killed one on one with an adult boa constrictor(especially a boa that's out on the hunt, thinking the cat is food...)
              Of course the boa will get scratches and bites, but the cat will die, so which is worse? An injury, or death?

A Snake is not prejudice against it's food
              It will eat anything that's warmblooded if it's hungry, especially since cats are not generally that much bigger than rabbits.
              I have actually seen video of a full grown Aussie Carpet Python dead while attempting to constict a cat. The cat was dead too, but it caused enough damage to bleed out the python. I'm not saying that cat would escape all the time, just that the danger to the snake is definatly higher that when it preys on a rodent or similar animal...I would even say that a cat is mor dangerous to a snake than a dog, pound for pound...

-Sean in NoCal
              “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
              -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I had a young cornsnake the width of my finger chase my cat. Boy was he determined!

Comment

Well you really can't argue with that davenkelly. Simple Minded indeed they are. Have you ever seen a Boa or any snake for that matter play catch or fetch a ball or even come when called upon, and I don't mean catch a mouse, I mean a ball or something. LOL But, I get your point.

Comment

I know that my little Toby (chihuahua x daschund) and Samora eyeball each other through the enclosure all the time and I WOULD NOT like to see the outcome so they are never out at the same time.

I'd certainly hate to lose either but I'd bet that Samora looks at Toby as food.
                    http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Thanks for the input! It was a mostly rhetorical question, as I am waaaay too paranoid to let my cats and snakes meet in person, er, I mean animal. Just my curiosity getting the better of me!

Comment

HI,
                        I ve had a cat Kill a snake it caught wild a rather large rattler. now that may be the exception, but I believe that Cats are wild animals that have adjusted to captivity. Its hard to train a cat to not hunt birds,
                        I believe cats know how to kill snakes,rats birds . It may be instinctive.
                        Ever see a small mongoose take on a cobra.
                        So I would keep my cat as far from any snake as possible specially out of the cage A cat bite to the head will not be instant death but the snake will die, I once tried to rescue a squirrel a cat was playing with as soon as he saw me it pierced the squirrels brain with a well placed bite, I believe it knew I wanted to take it from him.
                        Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
                          I have actually seen video of a full grown Aussie Carpet Python dead while attempting to constict a cat. The cat was dead too, but it caused enough damage to bleed out the python. I'm not saying that cat would escape all the time, just that the danger to the snake is definatly higher that when it preys on a rodent or similar animal...I would even say that a cat is mor dangerous to a snake than a dog, pound for pound...
                          i agree... even though a snake should be able to kill a cat just by constricting, cats are equipped with some serious weapons. cat teeth and claws are fierce. the snake may win at first, but the cats wrath will get the snake too in time. the skin on my arms still arent the same from about 7-8 years ago when i pulled a cat from a dogs mouth. that cat tore me up big time. far worse than anything ive done to myself.

but on the subject... i just make sure my cats stay a couple a feet away. they usually dont pay any attention to each other anyway

Comment

I too think that they would try, and as far as the ability to differentiate between what kind of animals im not exactly positive but i dont think ours boas abilities can tell...just because even if they smell prey they will have no problem striking at me or body limbs lol and i know im not as hairy as a mouse\rat

Comment

Working...
                            X