This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARGHHH confusion  sexing

my snake has finally calmed down enough for me to really check her good for mites andthings but i bought her and they were like we are almost positive shes a female well........................ today i was checking her out and i noticed she had 2 tiny spurs on either side of her cloaca, which is a good indication of a male... ive already named her and id hate to have to think of a new boys name, but is it possible to have a female with outer spurs???? they are very tiny spurs but they look like they can get bigger and she does... ooops or he does dang my poor snake is gonna have a complex!!

Re: ARGHHH confusion  sexing

Do you plan on breeding it... If not then don't worry... Other wise all you have to do is go to a breeder or a rep. vet... and get her/him probed
    Eric aka...Red

Comment

no i really dont plan on breeding it thats to much for me, just havng one snake is all i need even though all those lil babies would be nice hehehe.. i was just kinda like ok wow the peeps at the store are dumb!!!!! but today is the first day i could really touch her tail with out her trying to eat me alive LOL i seen those spurs and was like ok wow they are huge LOL so i was like ok maybe i have a boy snake. but she has the longer skinnier tail like most females,my female i had before was probed so i knew she was female and her spurs were really tiny it was just kinda a shocker to me that maybe shes not a female like they said and here i am calling her a lil girl and she might not be,

Comment

Spurs are not a good way of sexing a snake. Both male AND females have spurs :. Sometimes the spurs are larger on the male, but this isn't always the case. Probing is the best way of determing sex. Hope that helps.
        PT

Comment

i want to have her probed but... there is no one in my area that i can take her to to have her probed naples texas is a tiny lil ole town lol

Comment

Attend a reptile show and make sure that you can bring a snake with you prior to it.. and you should be able to find someone that could probe np for ya there ;D

BOTH sexes have the spurs..They are NOT a great indicator of whether male or female at all actually. Allthough at times the male does have larger spurs present. The spurs on the male are used for "grasping" etc the female when breeding : Spurs are the remnants of legs from years ago btw.

Comment

Working...
            X