This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding Question

Until last night, I was feeding my 9 month boa fresh killed mice. After realizing the inconvenience of this method(always having to go buy a feeder) and the health risks involved(possible mites and viruses), I purchased 25 frozen rat pups from Cajun Mice. I thawed it completely and did everything I normally do pripr to feeding, but she ate it backwards. When I noticed her doing so, I tapped on her feeder box to make her stop. She dropped the rat but after a few minutes, she started eating it tail first again. I didn't want to keep disturbing her so I left her alone. Is this something I shoulb be concerned about? If so, how can I correct it. It seems to me that she might hurt herself since the rat's claws are going in the wrong direction. Any input would be appreciated.

Re: Feeding Question

i have had a few snakes do that..i have one that likes to eat sideways..keep her temps up and dont handle her for awhile!!

Comment

That is funny If the boaphile comes on here don't belive what he say's... There is no problem.. In fact there is no forward and back words... It is like saying you ate that cheese burger back words.... Don't worry about the back words thing... your snake will be just as fine as if it ate it forward....
      Eric aka...Red

Comment

Wouldn't worry about this to much, mine usually looks for the head after I drop in a thawed rodent but sometimes she eats it backwards. Once she even started in the middle and folded it in two to get it down with out any apparent harm. Might follow the previous advice though and not handle the snake for a while just in case.

Comment

ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with eating a rat backwards.

Actually since it was the first thawed rodent I would be jumping up and down, shouting like crazy. That is a huge step in the health and safety of your boa.

I see it a lot with the thawed rodents that many will grab the rat immediately, but are not sure which end is which.... But 99% of them get it right everytime.

I have seen adult boas completely fold a jumbo rat in half, swallowing the head and butt at the same time. Their amazing muscles will get it all straight and lined up in the stomach, so do not worry.

Congrats on the conversion to thawed rodents.
          To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
          -Clay English
          Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Hi everyone. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Comment

Working...
            X