This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dehydration??

my boa is approx. 4 months old, she has what i would describe as loose skin behind her head on her neck, i've heard ya'll say that is a sign of dehydration but she has clean, fresh, water all the time, i have never seen her get in the dish or for that matter i've never seen her drink. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Re: dehydration??

Ok.. For starters it could be a couple of different things going on with your snake. We do need more information though to try and help you determine which one it is most likely and help you in treating it also. So give us the answers to the following questions and we can go from there....
    What are the temps in the snake's cage ? h/l/basking ??
    What is the cage and set up like ? heat source/style cage/substrate etc ?? [ FYI.. We call this husbandry]
    How long have you had the snake ?
    How often does it eat and what is it eating ?
    Does the snake pass urates ? [ look for white chalk lol]
    Any pics of the snake you can show us at all ? [ This owuld help immensely ]
    What is the humidity ?
    Where did you obtain the snake from ? pet store/breeder or what ?

Just cuz your not seeing her get into the water dish or drink from it.. does NOT mean that she isn't drinking at all. They usually drink when your not looking hehe. A young snake like this which is underfed could have that skin fold behind the neck area.. so could a dehydrated one at that also.
    Let us know all of this and we should be able to help ya out np also.

Comment

the temps are 80 low 88 high basking of 92, she is in a 20 gallon long aquarium, i have a uth and a basking lamp with a exoterra bulb, i use shaved aspen as bedding, i've had her for about 2 months now, she is about 21 inches long and eats a small fuzzy every 6 days, the snake has passed urates several times, i don't have any pics right now, the film will be developed tomorrow and i will try to get some up on the forum,
      the humidity is kinda high according to the forum it stays between 70 and 75 all the time, i live in louisiana and our humidity is almost always 100, i obtained the snake from a local pet store and i brought her to the vet there were no mites and dr woodworth said she seemed fine.

Comment

Hmm.. Your temps don't sound too high for the snake at all. Sometimes that is an indicator for dehydration in a snake. The humidity..eh.. Shouldn't harm the snake like that really. If your ambient humidity is at 100% most the time.. Then there's not much your going to be able to do for that I would think either.
        Feed = hopper.. IS that a mouse your refering to here ..right ?? Is the snake in a hunt mode after feeding at all usually ? Could need more of a meal possibly than just the hopper mouse. If it does, then it could be a weight issue going on with the snake possibly. Also could be a dehydration thing going on even. UGH..
        Try soaking the snake in water a couple times a day and see if that helps at all. Also step up the feed prey to something like a rat that is basically no more than about a week old. Doing those two things will hit upon whichever is the issue for the snake currently I would think. Wheteher it is dehydration or needs more feed/prey that is. YUP. Go ahead and post some pics up ..that might help some also.

Comment

Oh and the passing of the urates by your snake is a good sign that it is most likely not dehydrated also. Most dehydrated snakes do not pass urates. So it most likely is drinking and your just not seeing it drink is all. Otherwise where would the urates be coming from really ? lol

Comment

thx lori, the only thing is she is not in a hunt mode at all, the food she gets now is a little bigger than the girth of her, she doesn't seem to be hungry after feeding, should i feed her more often maybe like every 4 days or is that too close together.

Comment

NOPE that would be too close together to be feeding her every 4 days. Try on the dehydration possibly being what it is and do the soakings and see if that makes a difference for her at all.

Comment

i'm so sorry, i forgot to mention she is about to shed her eyes have been blue and this morning they're clear, could her excess skin just be the skin she is going to grow into between sheddings, also this morning was more urates, and off of the subject how long before she will shed after her eyes are clear.

Comment

Sounds right Lori, It doesn't sound like dehydration to me either.

With regular eating and regular passing of urates, I would say that sounds very good.

The picture will really help. It could be just a little underfed, and need a little weight put on.

Get us the picture when you can
                  To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                  -Clay English
                  Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Also wanted to mention that most of my boas drink late at night and sometimes just after I put a fresh clean bowl of water in the enclosure.
                    To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                    -Clay English
                    Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Working...
                    X