This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft skin

My columbian boa is a year old. It is about 3 1/2 feet long. I took it to the vet for a fecal exam which came back negative. I house it in a 4 foot vision cage. The hot spot is 95 degrees and the cool end is maintained at 80 degrees. The humidity is usually low at about 40%. I have a hard time keeping it higher. The last couple of months I have noticed it's body feeling soft and the skin feeling loose. I was feeding him rat pups but thought maybe it was under fed so I have swiched the last few feedings to small adult rats. I always have a large water dish in the tank. Can anyone help me? I have read alot about boas but I have not found information regarding softening of the body or skin. Any ideas could be helpful. I don't what else to do.

Re: Soft skin

Not quite sure what ya mean exactly on the feeling soft part..BUT as for the loose skin part...
    IS the snake dehydrated at all? Sounds like that might be what's going on possibly with it. The temps..IMO.. are a bit high on the hot end and could cause that np also.

Comment

HI,
       I have seen something like this in my growing young  boa's they sort of look like they've out grown their skin a bit.
       This occurs with growth spurts and they usally grow in to their skin rather quickly.      
      check out the feeding care sheets maybe its time move up a little on feeding size items.[ftp]http://www.redtailboas.com/carelinks/index.html[/ftp]
          Remember after that first year they can slow down a little on the frequency of feeding .
           doug

Comment

Mine has done the same thing a couple of times, it seems to have something to do with a fast growth spurt. She will grow in length and then over a week or two she will fill back out. Hopefully that is all it is, good luck! b27.gif

Comment

Rat pups are too small. Period. My BCI is seven months and easily eats medium rats. I have another boa that was 4' long and was only being fed adult mice now and then...she was way too thin and had loose skin. I think it's time to move up your food size.
          PT

Comment

I think it's time to move up your food size.
            GEESH! How did I miss that one..UGH. Your right PT.. Time to move this snake up on it's prey size..rat pups are definately too small for this snake.

Comment

Working...
            X