This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of food?

I know that the size of the prey should make a small bulge in the snakes stomach area. But I have a question. One of my girls is very girthy!! One jumbo rat, really no longer makes any type of bulge. I've been feeding her 2 jumbo rats every feed. But should I maybe think about starting on small rabbits or would 2 jumbo rats pretty much do the trick?

Re: Size of food?

How big is this girl actually ? IMO.. There does come a time to move them up to rabbit as their prey items. However , there are plenty of keepers whom keep the larger snakes on rats as their prey item with no ill affect also. Just need to feed multiple at each feeding and feed more often than you would when feeding rabbit as their prey basically. If was me, I'd move up to rabbits from what you have said.

Comment

As far as actual inches, I'm not sure how big she is. I have one pic of her that's about a year old. But It doesn't show her girth very wll at all. Basicly, if you take your thumb and index fingers of both hands and make a circle, that's a good estimate. Do you think that I should start feeding rabbits, based on that approximate size. The only place I've found that sells Frozen rabbits is rodentpro.com. I might start ordering from them soon.

Comment

I would say this. At that size you could move her to wabits,but think about this whtich is cheaper?
        Rats or wabits your snake is still getting the proper diet.

Joshua

Comment

Actually on the website that I mentioned, 2 colossal rats would be 4.38 (2.19 a piece) and one small rabbit is 4.00 a piece. So actually it's about the same price. So I might try rabbits and see how she takes them and then go from there.

Comment

HMM.. Don't think that finger placing is showing the girth of the snake accurately if your saying to feed rabbits yet. I feed mine that are like this girth smaller rabbits here...

Comment

This size snake we feed the smaller rabbits. The pic is easier to see girth than the last one is ...

Comment

That's actually pretty close to how big she is. I really need to get some pics of her!! Maybe I'll try to do that this weekend.

Comment

Here's what we feed HUGE rabbits to here....

Comment

Is the rat just an after dinner snack?!!!?!! LMAO!!! ;D cwm12.gif

Comment

That last pic we had the snake on one of her non-feeding modes and were trying to get her to eat anything she would. That's a large rat in there with her and ya can see the size difference and how that is NOT what she should be eating at all by firth either lol.

OK.. Then the snake should be able to eat the small rabbits np then if it is that girth size. The rabbits are like 4-5 month old ones that she eats and are about 3-4lbers I think. We raise em ourselves, so I don't actualoy weight them at all.,.I just go by the girth for which ones to feed what snakes here basically.
                      Keep in mind that the rabbits from rodentpro are gonna cost when it comes to shipping also. Might be best to find someone that breeds them in your area rather than shipping them. If I buy more for feeding or breeding here..I pay like $3-6 for each one. Just find someone whop breeds em..ask at a local feed store,,,They might know of someone that does.

Comment

Naw, She wouldn't even eat that rat. That is from a year+ ago. She now eats HUGE rabbits for us np. ;D

Comment

Actually it would just be easier for me to get them from rodentpro. I thought about going to some rabbit breeders, but my girlfriend would kill me if I bought a bunch of small rabbits and killed them. Besides I don't really want to be the one to kill them anyhow. Stupid conscience!!!!! :'(

Comment

Most people that breed them will also kill them for ya np too.

Comment

Working...
                            X