This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Escaped where to look?

Need help and advice as I think my son's 3 1/2 foot boa might have escaped from his cage. Part of me thinks that the wife had someone come in and take him out (and give it back to the reptile shop where we bought it as a baby) as the top of the cage wasn't opened and nothing seemed to be disturbed. He was in a 55 gallon glass enclosure with the wire mesh top that was clipped in the front. (the clips were still in place and the only possibility would have been for him to push the back of the screen up which would have stayed up had he done that) The heat lamp on top wasn't disturbed and neither was the cardboard on top that :-[I used to keep in some of the heat. Can't say anything to the wife yet as she would definitely freak if he did escape. Any ideas where to look to try and find him assuming he did escape?

Re: Snake Escaped where to look?

You could start by looking in the room that the cage is in. Look in dark places, warm areas in the room. This may sound a little silly but depending on what kind of substrate you are useing the lite guy just might be underneath it. Just a thought. I would keep the door to that room shut untill he did turn up. That way if he is in that room still he will stay in there and the wiefe won't flip if she comes up on it somewhere else in the house. Goosd luck let us know if you find the little guy.

Tatdaddy

Comment

I recently "misplaced" my 5 1/2 ' girl. I looked everywhere, so I thought. Finally about 2 weeks later while watching t.v., I felt the arm of my couch move. Even thought I had taken the bottom of the couch off and didn't see her, she tucked herself way up high in the arm. It took two of us about 30 mins to get her out. Look somewhere dark, it will probably be hiding in some confined space where nobody can get to it. Just remember, look, look, then look again. Good luck. ;D

Comment

i lost my first boa a few years ago. after thoroughly destroying my home, i couldn't find him. finally, someone asked me if i had checked my box springs underneath my mattress. there was a little hole in the fabric covering the underneath, and sure enough, after ripping the fabric off, there he sat. it took me three weeks to find him so i hope maybe this helps.

Comment

Like was said already..Try looking in the cage through the substrate first. If the cage wasn't disturbed and looks as though it is still locked up tight..he may just be fully under the substrate possibly. They can manage to get themselves fully under the substrate and ya would never know that's where they are.
          As for where to look if he is not in the cgae. EVERYWHERE for starters. lol They can get up into high places that are further off of the ground than they are length wise. So don't avoid looking upwards either in your search at all.
          they will look for a nice cozy spot to just hang out in/around. Also usually somewhere where it is warm to them.
          Basically I have found that you'll never find an awol snake when you are looking for them at all..UGH The time you will usually find them is when you are not looking for them at all.
          GOOD LUCK finding the snake.

Comment

Thanks for the info. He definitely wasn't in the cage believe me I checked every ounce of substrate... Here's an update... Captured, 1 escapee hiding in the basement in a corner where my mini fridge was sitting luckily it was unplugged. He was coiled around the compressor unit and I had to unscrew the plates and had a hard time getting out. Was definitely cold and pissed off. I've never seen this guy snap except for at prey but he was snapping at me big time. I had to lift his little head with a broom while I held his tail and gently lay him in his cage. He was pissed off for at least 2 or 3 hours before he got out of his defensive posture. Hopefully he will calm down but don't think my little guy will handle him now that he's seen him "freak" out. Made sure I put some extra weight on the top of the cage so he doesn't get out again. Thanks for the help and ideas.

Comment

Hey, glad you found him. I had a baby Everglades Rat escape on me last year w/ the doors of the house open. She apparently got out of the house on us.

Comment

LOl.. Ya found him. Soo how many hours of hunting did that take ? hehe Was a lot sooner than some rescues we have hunted down here before.

For the lil fit throwing the snake is doing atm.. just give him time. he got used to being out on his own and not being caged up basically. If you were in his predicament, you'd be like that also no doubt. He got a taste of freedom and has decided that he likes it now. LOL. Give him time and to calm down now. In time [ hopefully, no gaurantees ya know] he should calm down to what he was like temperamentwise np.
                Now as for your son. Just how old is your son anyways ? When keeping snakes this is something that could happen at any time in fact. Also getting bit by a snake is a given if keeping them. Just a matter of time. Didn't your son know this at all before getting the snake ? ???

Comment

Actually, I found him rather quickly which was suprising. I thought about the normal places (furnace, hot water heater, etc. ) and happened to look at a nice quiet place where my mini fridge has been sitting and remembered an incident in middle school where our pet boa (in science class) escaped and wrapped himself around the radiator and thought I bet he'd go to the mini fridge and wrap himself around the compressor and sure enough.... About 20 minutes total... and another 25 to get him out and back in the cage. My little guy is 8 but the size of a 12 year old. What I meant was that he wouldn't handle him right away (for a few days) but called me right after he got home from school to let me know that Spike was not snapping when he was near the cage and had calmed down. He was a little freaked at first because Spike has never snapped except at food but understands why he was the way he was which I explained to him and showed him your post. My little guy doesn't want to get rid of him (cries when it's talked about) it's more my wife pushing the issue. As far as the biting, he knew and knows as his corn has done it several times. The wife doesn't know he got out and won't if I can help it but she's been pushing the issue for a while. Little guy loves the snake and doesn't want to get rid of it and neither do I. If it becomes to big an issue I may have to but will definitely find him a good home. I know of several good homes for him and wouldn't do so unless I was 100% sure. He's got a couple snakes including a Mexican Rosy Boa it's just that the size of Spike is really freaking out the wife as well. He got big really fast which is what I think is worrying her. We've had the snake about 2 years and raised it from the time it was eating small mice and it's now eating large pre-killed rats. We're not power feeding so don't worry about that. He's a big boy though and probably closer to 4 feet.

Comment

My 8 month old red-tail escaped last night, actually, somewhere between 7pm @ 4am when I was at work. To my suprise the lid on the 75gal. was secured (a mesh top with hinges) and everything looked normal when I got home around 4am. He wasn't hanging out on the tree branch waiting for me like normal so I looked under both hide spots....not there. Sometimes he will bury himself under the substrate but I tore the tank apart and could not find him. After searching in the room for about an hour with no luck, it ended up he was right in front of my nose. Just as I was about to give up looking for the morning, I looked up to the top of the tank where the 4 foot light fixture is and there he was...but how. I never thought he was stong enough to lift the hinged part of the mesh screen but I'm wrong. I'm just happy he didnt get too far, now I keep three heavy book on top so no matter how hard he tries, he can't escape! He's a smart one..

Comment

About 7 years ago I had a boa escape..(I've never left a cage unlocked since). She got up into the ceiling of my finished basement. That was the first weekend in October. She finally came out on Thanksgiving weekend! An important lesson learned.

Larry
                      Waynesboro, VA

Comment

Working...
                      X