Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Housing] need temporary housing help

hi :]

i need some opinions on what i should do for temporary housing for a 5'-51/2' female boa.
    she'll only be in it for a little less than a month.

thanks!
    savannah

Re: need temporary housing help

Rubbermaid or Sterilite under bed tubs. Drill some holes in the sides for air and away you go! I chuck all my new ones in tubs for a bit before I get them in to their more permanent enclosures. Many people leave their boas in these tubs their whole lives and the snakes do just fine, some even prefer the tight, humid conditions of the tub.

Comment

hmmm. i was checking that out just now.
      Will that be big enough for 5ft boa?
      and what size should i get?

i also have a 50 gallon fish tank that I could use in a pinch but I'd rather go with a tub since it'll be easier to keep the proper humidity and heat.

if i do use a tub, can i use a heat pad under it?

Comment

Originally posted by misspeachesx View Post
        hmmm. i was checking that out just now.
        Will that be big enough for 5ft boa?
        and what size should i get?

i also have a 50 gallon fish tank that I could use in a pinch but I'd rather go with a tub since it'll be easier to keep the proper humidity and heat.

if i do use a tub, can i use a heat pad under it?
        Use the 50 gallon. Tubs can be great in the right situation. But the right situation is one involving heat tape, thermostat and other pricey items. Creating a safe hot spot in a tub with a standard UTH pad is going to be very difficult and unsafe even with a thermostat. My Albino is in a tub right now but the only reason it works is because the room is kept at around 81-83 and he has a hot spot via a lamp pointed toward the tub. I can use my temp gun to monitor it so I was fine leaving him there for a month or so but I got another tank for him last night. I think workin with a glass tank is only a nightmare when you have experienced the joys of an efficient, consistent tub set up. There are lots of ways to make it work and I like to see my snakes and they seem to like looking around. I would however recommend getting a temp gun and thermostat as soon as possible fi you don't already have these things.

Comment

ok.
          i guess the next step is to move the fish out of the 50 gallon to the 37 gallon...and then figure out how to wash out a 4ft tank in a bath tub since there is now snow on the ground lmao.

how do you heat your glass tanks?

Comment

Another option would be to use a lamp dimmer ($11 from lowes) to control how hot the uth gets on the tub. Just plug the pad into the dimmer, plug the dimmer into the wall, and use the dial to adjust the temp of the pad. This would not be a permanent solution but for just a month it would be fine if you keep a close eye on it.

Comment

hmmm..
              i'll have to look into that.
              thanks!

Comment

As far as heating the glass most people use a combination of under tank heaters and incandescent light bulbs or ceramic heat emitters. If you use the under tank heaters on glass, you will need a thermostat to keep it from getting too hot. You can cook an egg on those flukers mats that claim to only reach a temp of 100 degrees! Your cool end is pretty much gona be the same temp as your room as glass does not hold any heat at all.

Comment

yeah when i had my ball python i used a UTH pad and a CHE bulb(which i still have).
                  maybe i can figure out way to help insulate the outside of the tank, covering it somehow maybe, to help keep in heat.
                  since my room isnt that warm should i put the UTH under one end and the CHE over the other?

Comment

It would be best to put all of your heat sources at one end so the snake has a cool end. I have used styrofoam to insulate glass tanks before with some success. Pet stores recieve their fish in big styro coolers and might be willing to give you one, especially if you already do business with them.

Comment

Originally posted by misspeachesx View Post
                      yeah when i had my ball python i used a UTH pad and a CHE bulb(which i still have).
                      maybe i can figure out way to help insulate the outside of the tank, covering it somehow maybe, to help keep in heat.
                      since my room isnt that warm should i put the UTH under one end and the CHE over the other?
                      Try that and if your cool side is too cool, then you can try moving it more toward the middle. I have an oil filled heater doing most of the work in my snake room, on my glass enclosures I'm using UTH pads on a thermostat (which is a pain to get in Canada because they aren't CSA approved) with small wattage regular bulbs for light and a couple extra degrees. My tubs get most of their heat from the room temps with a small light for a hot spot. By using the space heater I can use very low wattage lights and keep my pads a lot cooler and safer in my mind. In a room where the heat isn't so high, insulation of the tank is going to be the key in maintaining heat and humidity. You can use simple styrofoam to do it and if anyone in the neighborhood is renovating you can probably find some free. Just dont put the foam inside the tanks mount it to the outside with tape or sillicone. You will also likely have to cover part of the top to keep moisture in.

Comment

ok i have mine in a glass tank this is what i do......... on one end put the head pad under tank then i put the heat lamp right above it on same side...... i cover my screen top with aluminum foil 3/4 way just enough so lamp doesnt touch it then i put a towel over the alumnum foil just make sure u dont have towel touching lamp............ i dont have a problem with mine at all......

so good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Hunglikeafruitbat View Post
                          Rubbermaid or Sterilite under bed tubs. Drill some holes in the sides for air and away you go! I chuck all my new ones in tubs for a bit before I get them in to their more permanent enclosures. Many people leave their boas in these tubs their whole lives and the snakes do just fine, some even prefer the tight, humid conditions of the tub.
                          hung coverd it

and the reason he has to put them in tubs to start is because he cant go more than 2 days without buying a new boa lol

Comment

Originally posted by MSwift View Post
                            hung coverd it

and the reason he has to put them in tubs to start is because he cant go more than 2 days without buying a new boa lol
                            I CAN TOO!...probably. lol. As far as cleaning large tanks, one word...Shopvac. I grabbed a small one for $40 specifically for cleaning my tanks, cages etc.. in the snake room.

Comment

thanks for the advice guys :]
                              im thinking about starting with the aluminum and towel over the tank.
                              and if that doesn't work we have a lot of styrofoam around the house lol.

hopefully i'll trick the parents out of some money so i can get the boa next week sometime xD

Comment

Working...
                              X