Two snakes in one enclosure question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Housing] Two snakes in one enclosure question

I have a 2 year old BP (3ft) and I have a 2009 rtb coming on Thursday. I have the opportunity to get a $2200 CagesbyDesign enclosure for about $300.

I need to know if both snakes can live in that enclosure safely. I don't want to risk either girl.

Thanks

Don

Re: Two snakes in one enclosure question

It is not recomoended to keep two of the same species together , and definitely not when they're two different types of snakes . So much can happen in terms of health issues. Then there's also compatability issues to address as well .

These are not my pics , but they're used to show you why you need two seperate enclosures .

This Boa ate a Ball Python as big or bigger than himself ~

after the regurge -- both died ~

This Boa ate one of its siblings - I believe that both of these died as well ~

Comment

Thanks for the info. That rules out putting them together. Will still probably buy the enclosure for one of the girls. Thanks

Don

Comment

I'd invest in a rack system, over the enclosure you mentioned. your boas will be more comfortable

Comment

Wife is not cool with a rack system. She wants the enclosures to fit with the furniture in the game room. The african gray's enclosure is in there along with the pool table and the ball's enclosure.

Don

Comment

I want to ad this
            Boas don't just eat each other. These are feeding accidents
            that occur when one Boa grabs the food item and starts to eat it
            then the other Boa grabs the food item from the other direction
            and swallows the food item while the first Boa is still eating and attached
            thus swallowing both the food item and Boa attached.

This is only one reason not to house Boas together
            there are other reasons as well.

Plus housing different species entirely is always frowned on

There are many people that house Boas in community groups
            and the Boas thrive and do just fine.

The problem with that approach is if one Boa regurges how
            do you know which Boa it is.?...

Also if somebody gets sick , increased chances everyone will get sick

I have to admit I do have a couple Boas I've kept housed
            together over the years that did fine

In fact once separated things didn't go as well
            leading to my putting them back together

Also right now I've been observing a little kind of experiment

I left 1.1 babies in with their mother.

There seems to be a correlation between housing these babies
            with mom and a calmer attitude

Its a lot more work at feeding time separating babies
            into their own container for feeding.
            ( I have lots of Boas to feed time is limited )

You are much better off providing separate enclosures for each.

Lar M
            Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

wow, i have heard of snakes eating each other. but i have never seen pics or a videos about it. i have to give you a for finding those pics. i bet if more people see those pics they wont house there snakes together anymore.

Comment

I want to ad this
                Boas don't just eat each other. These are feeding accidents
                that occur when one Boa grabs the food item and starts to eat it
                then the other Boa grabs the food item from the other direction
                and swallows the food item while the first Boa is still eating and attached
                thus swallowing both the food item and Boa attached.
                Larry , I believe that in at least one of these occasions , the snakes were seperated for feeding . But when placed back together , the combination of the lingering rodent smell as well as the continued feeding response caused this terrible outcome . I recently (3 nights ago) placed a male in with a female for breeding . She was expecting a meal , since I had cut the feedings way back for the breedings . She saw him move , and WHAM -- I had to dive in and rescue him, or he would have surely died. It's such a good thing that I was there, or he would've been a gone'r . Those who practice housing snakes together are taking a very big risk --- And NO, I don't believe that they enjoy the "companionship" that some say .

Comment

Originally posted by Morgans Boas View Post
                  Larry , I believe that in at least one of these occasions , the snakes were seperated for feeding . But when placed back together , the combination of the lingering rodent smell as well as the continued feeding response caused this terrible outcome . I recently (3 nights ago) placed a male in with a female for breeding . She was expecting a meal , since I had cut the feedings way back for the breedings . She saw him move , and WHAM -- I had to dive in and rescue him, or he would have surely died. It's such a good thing that I was there, or he would've been a gone'r . Those who practice housing snakes together are taking a very big risk --- And NO, I don't believe that they enjoy the "companionship" that some say .

I'm glad you said this Dave because I meant to ad that lingering
                  smell and feeding response could cause trouble.

Plus what you experienced has happened a couple times
                  in the breeding arena with me also.

I stand corrected though because I've never heard of them actually
                  swallowing another snake on smell or feeding response alone

Obviously a really big reason not to house Boas together

Lar M
                  Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Honestly man I would not do it if I were you. Diseases would really be the main issue I would worry about though if I were you. As far as one snake eating/killing the other I would not be as concerned. I have seen enough pet stores and private owners house multiple snakes together over long periods of time without a problem. Provided the snakes are the same size and species, and provided that your enclosure is big enough, and that the snakes are well fed, you "probably" could get away with it. The problem that comes into play is that when one gets sick they both will. Also, if you try and house two different types that are not found in the wild together there may be a problem temperature and humidity requirements which are usually different between species. Short answer, just don't do it. Multiple enclosures stacked up usually look nicer anyway.

Comment

Here's my experience and it is a very recent one. I just got in two baby Ball Pythons (2 months old) one female, one male. I was expecting the female but not the male (it was a stowaway ) so I had only one tub ready to go. I placed both BPs in one tub while I prepped another. In that short amount of time the female continuely attacked the male. She tagged him at least 3 times that I saw. She did not hurt him but you could obviously tell he was stressed.

Some will tell you they have kept snakes together for years and never had a problem but here's the thing...is the risk really worth the reward? If you are unable or unwilling to provide multiple enclosures for musltiple snakes should you really have multiple snakes? Personally, I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRTY SHOOTER View Post
                        If you are unable or unwilling to provide multiple enclosures for musltiple snakes should you really have multiple snakes? Personally, I don't think so.
                        personally, i'd SCREAM NO!

Comment

Hope your question was answered. If they were both red tails or both pythons I'd say its up to you, but still wouldn't recommend it.

Comment

in addition to all the reasons given already, most snakes stay in feeding mode even after they eat, even if you were to feed them separately, its possible that they will still be searching for food after they eat and you put them back in together, leading to one of the unfortunate incidents in the pics posted earlier sometimes they will stop eating altogether when housed together. they will also compete for heat, for hides, etc, but most people think they are just cuddling and love each other. so IMO, all the risks are just not worth the life of one or both of your animals.

Comment

Working...
                            X