Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aggression? Challenging? Hates his tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Handling] Aggression? Challenging? Hates his tank?

So apparently I have been having handling issues with my adult male CA (?) I didn't know anything was wrong until I recently got more large boas and someone pointed out what they saw as aggressive behavior. Bambi always squeezes me when I handle him for at least 75% of the time. He was my second snake ever and since he is a boa constrictor I just thought this was normal, but someone else who noticed this said they believed it to be a challenge or slightly aggressive anyway. I hope to get some video up soon but I do notice that my other largish male does not do this and my six foot female doesn't either (thankfully, lol) He also puts up a big fight when I put him back in to his tank, he doesn't hiss or strike but he does get very panicked about getting out. He's in a 75 gallon and his temps and humidity are perfect, hides on each end and a swimming pool in the middle that he love (no mites, just likes to be in there a lot and really like eating in there) Am I just worrying about nothing or is there some truth to this 'challenging' business? Also do you think a larger taller enclosure would help with this fighting to stay out thing or could that make him want to defend his new larger space?

Re: Aggression? Challenging? Hates his tank?

It really sounds like normal behavior to me. All boas are going to be different. I have some that come out and go back in there cages with no problems at all. I have some that are a completely different story and for the most part i think it is due to fear. They fear leaving there secure cage and also fear going back in because they are going into the unknown even though it is there cage. They are just going on instinct. Whats real fun is when you have a big girl like my 7 ft 26 lb salmon girl that doesnt like to come out or go back in. I have to use a hook to occupy her head to get her out. She grabs on to everything when trying to put her back in and she can grip hard. It is all because she doesnt feel secure when being moved around in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks Chris, I had a feeling this was just one of his normal behavioral quirks. Your explanation makes perfect sense as I have observed similar struggling in my new 6 foot female. She calms down eventually but I have to stand near the cage and allow her to find it herself and stretch out a bit. She then goes in by herself but with Bambi I have to unwind him from my arm and hold him stretched out if I am going to have any success getting him back in. They really do seem to all have very different personalities, my albino WILL NOT be calm when held in your hand (good luck getting two on him) but he's absolutely fine on the hook. He's not aggressive, just TERRIFIED when you touch him and he's thrashed his head against the side of the cage twice now, so it's all hook going in or out of the cage now and I only handle him when theres nothing he whack his head off of. He's not getting any better though, he'll just be a breeder I think.

Comment

I agree with clustt29.......and have the exact same thing with just some of mine. Some FIGHT on the way out, and FIGHT on the way back in......

I just equate to my kids and bath time......Its almost identical....

Some when I have them out....Like to cuddle, (hold on my arm real tight)..and seem happy and content doing so.....others want to do all they can to explore......and get in trouble

Again, I equate to kids. At the park, some kids wont leave your side, and the others need a leash to keep them close by and out of trouble. (and NO, I have NEVER used a leash on my kids, and think parents that do, NEED parenting classes REAL bad. I was just going for a mental image).

Comment

Working...
        X