No announcement yet.

This is the best mite treatment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Misc] This is the best mite treatment?

I heard from a breeder that he once had a severe outbreak of mite and this is what he did:
    1. Took out the snake and cleaned the cage with Pam or similar product.
    2. Sprayed the snake and let sit till dry
    3. Then soaked the snake in a tube of water overnight with the water level just about half the height from belly to back.

He said that this was quick and very effective. I know the traditional methods and for the most part they work in one shot. but i have had survivor mites even after being very careful. He said this was sure shot first time because the spray will kill out the mites on the back and the water will drown the underbody survivors. What do you think about this.

Re: This is the best mite treatment?

Originally posted by emeraldtree View Post
    I heard from a breeder that he once had a severe outbreak of mite and this is what he did:
    1. Took out the snake and cleaned the cage with Pam or similar product.
    2. Sprayed the snake and let sit till dry
    3. Then soaked the snake in a tube of water overnight with the water level just about half the height from belly to back.
    NO! DO NOT SPRAY YOUR BOA WITH PAM!

What you do is remove the boa, and water dish from the cage.

Clean the cage, and before you replace the substrate, spray the cage with PAM.

Let the PAM dry. (takes about an hour)

Return snake and water dish to cage.

Spraying PAM directly on your boa will cause neurological damage, and possibly kill it.

Soaking your boa over night in room temperature water (especially this time of year) will probably kill it by giving hypothermia, if not, a respiratory infection. Unless it drowns first, which is more likely.
    "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

I would say that is not a very effective method. 1. Good luck trying to keep your snake in tub overnight. 2. If you spray a snake with PAM you'll kill it.
      You can spray the tank, air it out for about 30 min to an hour then put the snake back in. That is all that is necessary. The boaphile uses pest strips that works well as well but I've neve done it that way. Just search fo it and you'll fnd his mthod.

Comment

The directions of Provent-a-Mite clearly state that you DO NOT spray it directly on the snake. And any use of it should be followed by ample time to let the enclosure air out and the spray completely dry.
        To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
        -Clay English
        Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

oh and would you care to share with us who the breeder is? probably not very reputable huh? of totally full of crap and has no breeding experience at all.

Comment

I spray my cage/tank, hides cause there wood, and the substrate with the water bowl removed. BUT NEVER MY SNAKE. I soak them in the tub for 30 mins. That some times is a battle though.

Comment

this is the one that we like:

http://www.albertareptilesociety.org/caresheets/nix.pdf

used it once last year and never had to do it again, not to mention its safe to spray the snake with it, spray the cage and put the snake right back in. (just make sure you leave the water bowl out for at least a day)

Comment

Yeah that is pretty much what I was thinking as well. I knew it said do not spray snake, but sometimes there are some tricks that some people find that works better. I found multiple ways to rid mites that all pretty much said the same thing, and none of them said spray snake. Though I found one called reptile spray by i think it was natural science that is supposed to be effective anybody know about that one?

Comment

There is one called Repti-Relief that is a non-chemical, organic mite treatment that you use directly on the boa. It works by softening the exoskeleton of the mites to the point where they die. It has no residual effect though, so it needs to be used in conjunction with something that does (like PAM).
                  "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

Working...
                  X