No announcement yet.

Dumerils Boa vs Carpet Python?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Purchasing] Dumerils Boa vs Carpet Python?

Ok, I'd like to say sorry if this isn't the right section so just move it if necessary.

Anyways, as of right now I own a hypo red tail boa female among a bunch of other animals (non-boa). I've been itching to get another snake for a while and I think I might take the plunge very soon. Problem is, I cant decide on which one to get. Ive always found Dumerils boas fascinating, so instinctivly I considered getting that. BUT, upon looking around, Carpet pythons really intrigue me. I tried making a pro/cons list but still cant decide.

-Both about the same price
    -Both grow to about the same length with the Dumerils being more heavy bodied

*Dumeril boas are known to be finicky eaters, but have very tame behaviors.
    * They grow slowly which is good and would need the same size enclosure as my hypo boa (~4x2')
    * Can be kept in a plastic tub as babies and juvies.

^Carpet pythons are known to be nippy, but most grow out of it by the age of 1-2 years old
    ^Most of them are monster eaters
    ^Need a slightly smaller cage than a Dumerils, BUT they need more vertical
    ^Most likely a baby can be kept in a bigger tub but would need to be moved into a different cage more quickly.
    ^For some reason, highly intriguing animals

Any opinions?

Re: Dumerils Boa vs Carpet Python?

I don't have personal experience with either, so I'd have to say go for both.... lol
    "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

BAH! I wish

Comment

Ooo that's tough. I don't have personal experience with them either but I've seen both at shows. Well you could always get one for now and than next year or so get the other. Choosing one is just the hardest thing ever. If you keep snakes you won't be able to avoid getting more in the future so just put one on your wishlist. For now I would say go with the Dumerils because sound better temperment wise.

Comment

Well, I've got a JCP and a pair of Madagascar Ground Boas. (MGBs are larger cousins to Dumerils).

Go with the Dumeril. My JCP has always been a hugely picky eater, and generally a PITA.

My MGBs are great eaters, and very docile and easy to handle.
          "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

I recently picked up a dumeril. He's got a great temperment, and eats really well. I don't think you could go wrong with the dum.

Comment

was there a specific carpet you where looking at? cuz some of them get bigger than boas like 14 ft or so but stay much thinner. personally i like the carpets too but the last time i went to a hurp show i knew i wanted one going in and still couldn't help but buy a boa. i think the best idea is to try holding both snakes even if its at a local pet shop. the carpets are very thin and flighty when there young where as the boas are thicker and not at quick to bolt out of you hand.

Comment

Maybe i can make your decision alot easier. I am giving away a male dumerils, 2 years old, great temperment, good eater F/T, healthy, no problems. I got him for free with a adult female that I bought about 2 weeks ago. You can look up my post about it. If you are in the Nashville TN area you can pick him up. I can't ship right now and already promised him to another guy once shipping becomes an option. Let me know.

Comment

Hey, sorry that I wasn't specific. I was looking at the jungle carpets.

Unfortunately I can't take snake. I live in NY and would nonetheless like a 6-9 month old. I'm just confused, one forum is saying boa and one is saying carpet lol. I DO wish the dums were more active though, everyone tells me they're like logs lol

Comment

Originally posted by HypoKK63 View Post
                    I DO wish the dums were more active though, everyone tells me they're like logs lol
                    Neither is very active. They're both only about two steps up from "pet rock" on the activity scale.
                    "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

This is a topic for me. I have both I love them both.
                      1. Dumerils- I have one that is a great, very tame, and wonderful snake. He is one that I will just take out and hold and look at. He is a pretty average eater and never had any issues with him. He is pretty calm inside the cage but when out he is pretty active which can be very fun. He seems to like to socialize alot more that my carpet does. So if you like the way that sounds that could be your snake.
                      2. Carpet- Now with my JCP. She is a snake I cannot part with. I haven't seen a personality like this in any snake yet. She lives to eat. Absolutely no problem feeding with her. She will eat when she doesn't want to eat. First 4 months of her life taking 2-3 frozen pinkies and at 7 months she would take 3 hoppers but I usually didn't give her that many. She puts on a great show and never lets me down. As for being snippy, you bet. She only had that feature for a short time like maybe 2 months.

I am peticularly found of my jcp probably because she was one of my first snakes I got so she has been with me longer but I absolutely love my dumeril. so in conclusion i would say just get one of each

Comment

Originally posted by monkeywrench133 View Post
                        Neither is very active. They're both only about two steps up from "pet rock" on the activity scale.
                        You're probably the first person that has ever said that. Even from vidoes JCPs seem very active.

Comment

Originally posted by HypoKK63 View Post
                          Even from vidoes JCPs seem very active.

Wouldn't be much point in posting videos of them NOT moving, would there?

Comment

I have several dumerils Boas. They are great little Boas very intelligent and
                            when you handle them they are social and active.

I have a male that's about 42-45 inches long that's fathered 2 small litter for me.

He's the smartest little bugger , even smarter then the rest of the Dumerils

So Drew Drew (his name is Drew) is unique I guess but all Dumerils seem like
                            pretty good little pet Boas in my opinion

Lar M
                            Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X