This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which sex is better to have?

???I have heard so many sides to this question so i decided to ask once more. Which sex is better to have in RTB's? some say male because females will eventually lay slugs if not fertilized, is this true?

Re: which sex is better to have?

The only way that a female will lay slugs is if you were trying to breed her and some of the eggs went un fertlized. So if you don't try to breed her she just won't up and one day lay some slugs. The males tend to be a bit smaller than the females. The female are more robust and have a larger head. If you just plan on haveing a snake it doesn't matter. Good luck

Tatdaddy

Comment

I prefer females myself. They are usually less finicky eaters and the bigger of the 2 as well

Comment

Thanks For your advice, I Now know which one to choose.
        OH, one last question-
        a few people and pet stores informed me that if I chose a peruvian female i could stunt her growth by feeding her once eery two weeks and not damage her health,is this true?

Comment

This is true. Clay mentions this in the "Ultimate Care Guide" on this site under "Purchasing/Owning a Boa" - its worth checking out.

Comment

First thing is how bigg of a snake do you want...??
            Second you sould feed it as much as it wants for the first year... Well not too much.. Then you can cut down and start to stunt there growth.. But even then you are just stunting from what the potential groth of a snake... Some snakes are born with the potential 9' and some with a potential 6'.. Like there are people out there with 5' females that just grew that big and stoped they never fed too lil' or too much and they have a stunted snake..
            On the other had there are poeple out there that have done every thing in there power to keep there snake small and healthy and it still grew to more then 6'.
            So when trying to stunt the growth of a snake it is kinda' a bad idea because if it get's too big which happens more often then not... What would you do..?? I mean if you really had to stunt this snake and it turned out 12 years down the road, that you have a 9' monster and you don't know what to do with it... These are the type of thing's that put ding's and blimishes on the reptile trade.. We are all a part of it and that means we should buy with in our money, room, and capeabilitys... If you rep. is to hard for you to take care of don't try intell you know enuf to do it right... if it might get to big don't get it entell you have the room for it... If it cost's alot to take care of then wate for a time when you can afford it... Well that is my .02.
            Eric.... aka...Red

Comment

personally i feel that if a person cannot handle the eventual adult size of a snake then the person should find a snake with a more suitable eventual size. as far as stunting a snakes growth this was a question i had when i first started keeping red tails. i decided that a snake between 6-8 feet would be more suitable for me which is why i chose a male over a female (although males are also capable of reaching 9 feet but usually remain smaller)

Comment

Oh come on guys!! The best sex to own is OBVIOUS!!!!!

BOTH

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
                To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                -Clay English
                Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Working...
                X