Boa Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Handling] Boa Handling

Hello, I am currently in graduate school and have been in school for five years. I got my red tail, Bella, about 4 years ago. I will be honest when i say i barely take her out of her cage, but i used too. Her cage is adequately sized, but i dont get her out often because i am honestly to busy. I love having her as a pet and i do make time to take care of her. I take better care of her than i do myself. I want to keep her, but i am just curious if i should get rid of her because i do not take her out of her cage? Again i would prefer to keep her.

If i do keep her, will she get used to me picking her up when i get out of school. When i get her out now she is very cranky, tries to bite sometimes. I can tell its bc she is not comfortable being handled. After i set her down she is fine, can i break her of this? I hope this does not make me sound like a bad owner. She is very healthy and is taken care of well, besides getting her out. Thoughts?

Thanks For You Time!

Re: Boa Handling

If you can get her out and handle her even just a few times a week she should calm down. Even the larger snakes can be tamed with time. First thing I would do is check your temperatures and humidity, just to double check and see if they are correct. Boas can get a little standoffish if their husbandry is lacking something. Check out the Ultimate Care Guides. It can be found on the home page of the forum on the left side under "RTB info". There is tons of information that may help you.

What type of boa is she? A BCI?

Comment

If it helps, wear gloves and a sweatshirt. Handle her for about 5 minutes at a time 2 or 3 times a week. Gradually increase the time and handle her more often. As long as temp/humidity is fine, she should calm down within a month. Just make sure that once she calms down, you handle her often enough to keep her that way. I don't see any reason to get rid of the snake, many breeders own snakes that are well taken care of, just not handled very often.
      http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

I agree with what everyone else has said already. I'd just add this. Don't give up on her too quickly when you try to tame her down. She may take some time to acclimate to being handled, but most boas will come around.

-Sean in NoCal
        “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
        -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

she is a 4 year old red tail boa constrictor

Comment

Originally posted by Demarco3214 View Post
            she is a 4 year old red tail boa constrictor
            Do you have some pictures? BCI is boa constrictor imperator, BCC is boa constrictor constrictor AKA True red tail boa. They have different attitudes thats why I am asking. There are also more sub species out there.

Comment

Here are some pics....let me know what you think. Also, i recently bought a hygrotherm temp and humidity controller. Were do you suggest i put the sensor in the cage.....cool side, basking side, bottom, top? Im used to a digital read out on bottom of the cage.

p.s. I left her for a 10 minute video game and when i cam back she was between the screen and window....sneaky little girl. I promise im a good owner!
              Attached Files

Comment

She looks like a nice BCI to me. Man you got so lucky she didn't escape . Those pics are crazy!

I would put the probe towards the bottom of the cage on the hot side. The hot side is where you would control the temps and is normally where you will find a more true reading for humidity.

Comment

i dont think you should get rid of her personally if you are going to finish school soon. i also believe she can be used to handling again like she used to be it doesnt take much to calm down a snake, even really short handling sessions once or twice a week can do wonders for a cranky snake.

Comment

Working...
                  X