No announcement yet.

does it hurt to "help" a snake shed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Shedding] does it hurt to "help" a snake shed?

i was just wondering. does it hurt the snake if you "help" it shed? i know some people, once their snake is shedding, they peel off the shed even if the snake sheds just fine by itself.

Re: does it hurt to "help" a snake shed?

I've helped snakes shed if they are having difficulties, but I generally don't make a practice of it. And it shouldn't hurt the snake unless you are pulling or yanking on the skin as it peels off.

If I help a snake I let it soak in warm water and then I'll hold the snake firmly (but not so firm that it can't move freely) so that the unshed skin will peel back under the friction of my hand. If the skin is well soaked it should come off pretty easily. ...unless we are talking about unshed skin on the head. That takes a little more work.

Comment

i give some assistance if needed luckily i got my snake room near perfect and all the boas shed in one piece but if needed i soak them and them i'll help a little bit if it doesn't come off after the soak

Comment

I did this with my Cuban boa a couple times. I would take him in the shower and let him soak in the water until the skin was nice and wet, then help him shed. However, one time the skin got caught a little bit, he didn't like it and tagged me in the ribs. Luckily he was only 6 feet long but I still got a nice scar from it.
        http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

If there are retained eye caps, yes you can hurt the Boa by trying to take the eye cap shed off.

Like the other posters have stated you really need to soak the Boa
          to help relieve it of retained shed .

Eye cap removal, retained eye cap problems are a very delicate tricky situation

You can seriously harm the Boas eyes trying to remove eye caps

so be careful if trying this.

Lar M
          Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
            If there are retained eye caps, yes you can hurt the Boa by trying to take the eye cap shed off.

Like the other posters have stated you really need to soak the Boa
            to help relieve it of retained shed .

Eye cap removal, retained eye cap problems are a very delicate tricky situation

You can seriously harm the Boas eyes trying to remove eye caps

so be careful if trying this.
            When my nephew's fem BP had retained eye caps, I didn't even think of trying to remove them. The thought of that scares me to death.

Bump up the humidity and mist with warm water twice a day if there is a shed problem. Usually the rest will take care of itself.

-Sean in NoCal
            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Working...
            X