Drinking water temps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Water] Drinking water temps?

As many of you know Eddy - my DH Sunglow - is recovering from a minor bout of scale rot. After taking the mulch substrate out and replacing it with dry paper towels the humidity in the cage dropped. I moved the water bowl from the middle of the cage to the warm side and that brought the humidity back up. However, the temp of the water is now 88 degrees. Actually, this morning it was up to 89. Normally the water in my boas' cages is anywhere from 82-84 degrees (82 in my BRB's cage and 84 in my BCI's cage).

So how warm is too warm for a boa's drinking water? Is 88-89 too warm?

Re: Drinking water temps?

I keep my water room temp. 70-75 ish.

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

That's before it's in the cage, right? Once it's in the cage it will warm to the relative temp of the area it's in. And on the warm side my DH Sunglow's water is 88-89 degrees. I'm just concerned that this may be too warm for drinking water. ..or is this an OK temp?

Comment

I keep my boa's water at the cool end of the cage. It stays in the mid 70s and he seems happy with that.

Comment

hey mike. . .is see your dilemma with the humidity and water temps in your current situation. . .if your concerned with the water temp being too high, try moving it back to the cool side and do the bowl of moss trick on the hot side. . .you might be able to keep humidity up with soaked moss on the hot side, but again experiment and monitor is all i can suggest. . .hope this helps. . .

Comment

Excellent idea, Mike. Thanks. I can use a disposable tupperware container, or take out container, punch some holes in it so he can't get in (last thing I need with scale rot), but the humidity can escape into the cage. Then I can move the bowl and the water temp can go back down.

Awesome!

Comment

Use two bowls of water, one on the hot side and one on the cool side. This should give the boa the option of either or and make sure the bowls are small so he can't get in them and soak.

Comment

i agree, i use the two bowl method (non tippers of course)

Comment

Thanks, guys. But the moss bowl is working perfectly for me.

Originally posted by joshua.britto View Post
                  i agree, i use the two bowl method (non tippers of course)
                  I've always been a big fan of the ceramic crock water dishes for younger boas - I've yet to have one tip over.

Comment

You know, I've never even thought about this! Mine are usually right in the middle of the cage, but I've never check water temperature; they seem to drink it just fine though.

Comment

i was just wondering this the other day. I do the same as you, i keep the water on the hot side so it evaporates, because my house is very dry. Keeps me at 50% and when shed time comes around I raise it to 60-70% with extra water bowls, moss, and misting. I always get perfect sheds this way. However, I am very concerned with the temp of the drinking water as well, seems unnatural for the water to be that warm.

Comment

Originally posted by jhsulliv View Post
                        You know, I've never even thought about this! Mine are usually right in the middle of the cage, but I've never check water temperature; they seem to drink it just fine though.

I've always kept mine in the middle of the cage as well. This way it's warm enough for soaking (if they so choose) without being too warm (warmer than being in the hide, but not as hot as the basking spot), and it keeps the water at a decent temp for drinking. All of my boas have seem rather receptive to the temps of the water in the middle of the cage when it comes to drinking on a regular basis.

Comment

I don't know how warm is "too warm".

I change my boas water daily. I make sure that it's not "too cold". In the warmer months, it's not a problem. During the Fall and Winter months the water comes out "ice cold". So, I make sure it's room temperature.

I never see my boas drinking when the water is warmer. I'm sure they do, but I've never seen it. I do see them drinking right after I change their water. At first, only a few of my boas would drink immediately after I changed their water. Now, they all do it.

I don't know if they prefer "cooler" water, but they do seem to prefer "fresh" water.

It's a little bit of a hassle to change the water daily. Sometimes I think, "I just changed it yesterday, so I don't need to do it today". It qickly becomes less of a "hassle" when I see them drinking everyday. I'm sure in the wild they would be drinking daily, so I feel better when I know they're drinking plenty of water.

I figure my boas don't ask that much of me, so I do it to make them happier. At least, I think they're happier. LOL.

Anyway, if your boas are drinking regularly even when the water is warmer. Then it should be fine.

Comment

Ever since I saw you say that for the first time, Linda, I've tried to do that and they do seem to drink right away, especially if I put the bowl in soaking wet they seem to know right away that fresh water is there.

Comment

Working...
                            X