fixing my screen top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Housing] fixing my screen top

I have a 40 gallon tank the dreaded screen top (but hey got it for 10 dollars). My question is im adding a piece of plexi to help my humidity and temp issues. I am planning on useing some silicone to secure plexi to the top. How long should i allow the sillicone to dry before placing the lid back on i dont want the fumes to hurt my baby. Should when it is dry be sufficent or should i wait longer?

Re: fixing my screen top

You shouldn't have to silicone it at all. Usually inside the lid there is a lip that you can just lay the piece of plexiglass on as long as it is the right size. That way you can remove it when you need to get into the cage. It will still help retain heat and humidity.

Comment

If you haven't bought the plexi yet I would suggest saving a few dollars and getting a window insulating kit instead. It's cheaper, lighter and will be fixed to the frame like you want. Also you can change your venting hole locations a lot easier if you need and it's much cheaper to replace when you need to (the plexi will get very scratched and old looking quick).

Mat.

Comment

I agree with judgment.

Another option is to lay the plexi on the screen and use Duct tape or electrical tape to hold the plexi in place. It's not pretty, but it works.

EDIT: good suggestion Mat!

Comment

Thanks yall, Good ideas i have the plexi already and its cut to fit just wanna make it one piece. I had an idea a sec ago bout hot-glue kinda like a bead around the edge as the piece is cut to fit on the edge where the screen is bound.

Comment

Working...
          X