Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] Housing 2 Babies Together

Hey everyone,

I have a question. I have two baby boas I picked up at the NY METRO show as well as some other stuff including a sweet 4 footer cage. I will post picks in a day or so, I am beat its been a long day. Anyway, I picked up these two babies as investments and....well...I don't want to have any problems with them. I got an Albino Arabesque Het Moonglow and a DH Sunglow. I moved my high pink pastel into the 4 footer for now. I put the two babies into a 30x24 Boamaster with RHP in it.

I have seen many of the pictures of what happens when you house two snakes together, one can eat the other and they both die. Not what I want, but the guy seem to be adamant that I could successfully house these two together for the first year or so. I am just looking to buy myself some time until I can get another 4 footer with a removable divider down the middle. (Probably about 2 months out)

Pictures to follow.

Re: Housing 2 Babies Together

IMO its best to house them separately, it makes everything easier and you are able to prevent any of health issues that are so easily avoidable.

Comment

can you use a divider in the new cage for them? It can be done but just not the best, as many will chime in and and have in several threads. Try your hardest to separate them. Go the tub route for now since they will be in quarantine anyway. easier to heat, care for and monitor. Good luck and congrats

Comment

Originally posted by nediver View Post
        Hey everyone,
        I got an Albino Arabesque Het Moonglow and a DH Sunglow.
        You best be posting some photos of these!

As for your question: you could house them together successfully, but the cons outweigh the pros. It's in your best interest, as well as the snakes', to house them separately. IN the end you will have happier and healthier boas, and ultimately a greater return on your investment.

Good luck, and I can't wait to see some photos of your new pick-ups! The 'bino sounds awesome!

Comment

I am just trying to house them for about 2 months...sounds like famous last words. I wouldn't be posting if i wasn't nervous already.

How about this...can I put them in separate tubs and then house them inside the boa master together? The heat is already in there in the form of a radiant panel. I could potentially put them in some longer tubs with lots of holes so they get the ambient temps, more humidity control, and then if they're long they could have a warm and a cool side.

Comment

I wouldn't do it man. It looks cool and seems cool too until things go wrong. As I found out with my young boa, small snakes can have rapid mood swings far more than adults.

Comment

If you can house them in seperate tubs inside the same enclosure, I guess that would be better than being just together without no restrictions. I could be wrong but if that is all you got then IMO I would think that would be better than nothing. But get them there own place asap and before you buy anymore have them their own set up already up and running before you buy. good luck and congrads on the new ones.
              Harmon

Comment

oh you can def use a divider until they get bigger i agree, i wanna see baby pics

Comment

Well,
                  It always best to house them seperately. Especially, when they're babies. More "accidents" happen while boas are housed together as babies than any other time.

If you can put them in seperate tubs inside the cage, that's better than having them "together" in the cage. Just make sure you actually get them seperate cages and don't "put it off".

Another thing I noticed... You said you bought them as "investments"???

I really hope that's not the only reason you got them. The price on boas has been dropping so much lately. I think if they only reason you got them was to "make money".... Well, that wasn't the best investment.

I'd like to think you also got them, because you thought they were beautiful and you enjoy keeping them.

Anyway, get them seperate cages as soon as you can. Boas don't ask for much, but they do need their own personal space.

Comment

Putting them in different tubs inside the same enclosure is far better than housing them together. They could still transfer IBD and mites to each other, but a lot of bad things can be prevented just by putting them in individual tubs. As Linda said, the prices on boas are steadily dropping. There are snakes that a few years ago were $5,000 but can now be found for under $1,000. Every morph will slowly drop in price as more and more are created. It's just supply and demand. If there are 100 albinos and 1,000 people that want one, the price will be high. Now if there are 10,000 albinos and only 1,000 people that want one, the prices will drop quickly.
                    http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

Originally posted by Linda View Post
                      Well,
                      Another thing I noticed... You said you bought them as "investments"???

I really hope that's not the only reason you got them. The price on boas has been dropping so much lately. I think if they only reason you got them was to "make money".... Well, that wasn't the best investment.

I'd like to think you also got them, because you thought they were beautiful and you enjoy keeping them.

Anyway, get them seperate cages as soon as you can. Boas don't ask for much, but they do need their own personal space.
                      Thanks for your thoughts Linda. I have lurked here for a long while and I see many thoughtful and lengthy posts from you and I appreciate the advice. I put them in tubs last night. They were housed together for no more than an hour or two. For now the tubs are in the boa master because that is where the heat is. They have a warm and a cool side and the temps are controlled proportionally with Helix as is the rest of my stack of cages. I am def not in it for the money, I am a successful businessman outside of this "hobby" and I don't intend on that changing anytime to pursue breeding to make money. This is just for fun, and how could they not be beautiful? There boas! I realize calling them "investments" seemed somewhat callous, however lets call a spade a spade. Why would someone spend 15K on a snake? I can tell you why I would. First to satisfy my reptile addiction (RAS) and get my "white unicorn" in my collection. Second i would justify its large cost by the potential for breeding it and recouping some of my "investment" (there is that callous word again). Third, I would then realize that I either lost my investment entirely but gained a family member, or made some money to add more boas/food/supplies, or I'm somewhere even. Either way I still got the "white unicorn" and RAS has been subdued for the time being. Besides I bred colubrids for years so I know all about not making money on reptiles.

Originally posted by H_Moss View Post
                      If you can house them in seperate tubs inside the same enclosure, I guess that would be better than being just together without no restrictions. I could be wrong but if that is all you got then IMO I would think that would be better than nothing. But get them there own place asap and before you buy anymore have them their own set up already up and running before you buy. good luck and congrads on the new ones.
                      Harmon
                      Harmon, this is the one thing I am upset about after the show. There I was standing with the guy telling him that everything I have read and seen on the internet says don't house babies together. Ive seen the necropsy photos of what happens when one snake eats another. Bye bye to both snakes. I was worried which is why I reached out for a gut check on this site. I wanted just the one snake and my wife said, well "if you were going to get her the perfect male from the table what would it be?...because I will buy for you...your birthday is coming up...its on me...but I get to name it!" I mean come on how do you turn that down. Then the guy who I bought them from is telling me that housing two boas together is perfectly fine, he even said, "how else do you think babies are made?" or "at shows I have people come up to be with a tub of 20 babies and say here I don't want these. I had two boas together for 10 years and look what happened" BTW, I believe that it his experience and practice this is what is perfectally acceptable...I didn't get a sense it was salesmanship that was at play. So against my better judgement I said ok, in truth...things have changed dramatically in the 15 years since I last kept a large collection of colubrids. So I thought OK I will go against the gut...what do I know. Won't make that mistake again...lesson learned even without two dead babies.

Anyway, they are in two separate tubs perfectly temperature controlled and they were not housed together longer than a few hours yesterday. The tubs are no different than those used in a rack system and I'm confident they will be OK until I buy either a rack or divided cage in January at the next show.

Originally posted by b3napoleon View Post
                      ....It's just supply and demand.
                      Yeah I got that, not sure how anyone would not understand that basic economic model.

Comment

Working...
                      X