Eye cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] Eye cap

Anyone got some effective ideas on getting an eye cap off or what should I do about it. She went through a shed a few days ago and I got her a couple days ago. Should I be worried?

Re: Eye cap

its hard and sometimes dangerous to remove an eye cap i say soak him and if it doesn't come off let us know

Comment

Yeah a lot of people have damaged the eye removing eye caps. Usually if they don't come off the humidity was not high enough. What are the temps and humidity level in the enclosure? I would leave it alone and let it come off with the next shed. Just be aware that it she won't be able to see as well until then.

Comment

I haven't had to do this yet, but Brian of BHB showed how to remove one in an episode of snakebytes T.V. on youtube. He uses those rubber thimbles you get at the office supply store, the rubber helps to 'grip' the eye cap without having to push on the eye so much. You can imagine that just using a finger tip would be a lot more slippery causing people to push too hard in order to try and get the cap off.

Mat.

Comment

I have always just soaked my snakes in warm water for 10 minutes concerntrating on the head area, then carefully use a Q-tip and use it around the edge of the eyein a circular motion. It usually will pop right off. I used to have tons of humidity problems until I switched to rack systems.. Hope this helps

Comment

Yeah I don't think the people that had her before had the humidity up high enough. I encountered a bad shed once with one other snake, and now I won't let that happen again

Comment

Originally posted by Hunglikeafruitbat View Post
              I haven't had to do this yet, but Brian of BHB showed how to remove one in an episode of snakebytes T.V. on youtube. He uses those rubber thimbles you get at the office supply store, the rubber helps to 'grip' the eye cap without having to push on the eye so much. You can imagine that just using a finger tip would be a lot more slippery causing people to push too hard in order to try and get the cap off.

Mat.
              You beat me to it. This is what I was going to say. It works very well and is gentle on the eye. I would soak first and see if they come off then go to this method. attached is an example of the product you want that I have used in the past.

Finger Grip

Comment

Working...
              X