New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] New here

Hey, I just got a red tail boa last saturday, shes got a gash in her side and she's been hurt before, her face is healing from the bruises that were on it, I got her from this pet store that doesnt take care of their animals, anyhow I was wondering if anyone knows any good sites that have cheap custome cages for boas? mine is 5 feet right now I have her in a 40 gallon tank only because i don't have the money to get anything else at the moment, but the pet store had her in a 20 gallon so i figure the 40 should still be alot better

Re: New here

What is your budget? Most good cages with proper heating will set you back a bit. I like the Plastic Reptile Cages, Tanks and Racks. Snake, arboreal, lizard and turtle light weight custom flexwatt heated enclosures. cages I have

In your 40 gallon are you providing heat and something to hide in or under for the time being?

Comment

Welcome!

Couple of questions: how big is your boa? How old is it? Can we see some pics of the injuries? And have you taken your boa to the vet?

If the pet store didn't take care of her, and she's sustained injuries a visit to the vet may help determine their severity, and if there are any other issues that might need addressing - such as the potential for bacterial and/or fungal infections.

That said I recommend downloading and reading the Ultimate Care Guide. Even the most seasoned boa keeper goes back to check it from time to time.

...I also recommend reporting the pet store to the proper authorities if they are neglecting their animals and selling them injured they need to be reported and investigated. I'd expect to hear a rescued boa was injured, not one purchased. I hope she heals up ok.

As far as cages go, there's Boaphile, Pro-Line, Animal Plastics, Neodesha, Repti-Racks.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Comment

i'll check them out, and yes they do, I find myself needing alot more for her then with my corn snake, yup I have a heating pad under the cage and a 40 watt light bulb, haven't gotten a hide out yet shes been going under the newspaper i have in her cage i was told to put that in there until her cut heals

Comment

thank you =) she's about 5 feet, I was told she's 3 years old, No i haven't taken her to the vet yet i really don't have the money for it at the moment my paychecks are like 100 a week right now, so i'm struggling, I got her out of the pet store as soon as i could that even took awhile...I was very worried about her i checked on her every weekend there, she had one cut in her side to begin with along with those bruises that are now red marks on her face, and then last saturday i went to see her and she ended up having another cut in her side more of a gash, so after that I struggle with the money to get her right away, I didn't want her at that pet store any longer then she had to be, they werent telling me the whole story about her there...I do plan to take her to the vet as soon as i get some money together, as of right now I've been putting neosporin on her cut everyday. Yes I have reported that pet store that was about 3 weeks ago, and Nothing has even happened yet, the reptiles there never have water in their cages and they stick them in such tiny cages, my boa was in a 20 gallon for weeks and shes 5 feet...

Comment

Neosporin is good. Keep using that. I'd recommend a single treatment of a 50/50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide to help clean out the cuts. After than use either betadine solution or a 2% chlorhexidine solution. Both are antiseptic and will promote healing better than peroxide. The chlorhexidine is the better option, but betadine works well too. Treat all cuts and any raw skin twice a day until you can get to the vet.

And again: good luck.

Comment

I have heard a lot of good about Animal Plastics but I think they cost a good bit too. I don't know if you can find a good 4x2 for very cheap unless you maybe try to build your own. I would try to get it a 4x2 size whoever you go through.

Comment

haven't heard anything about those type of cages, I saw some on this one website that were really nice they were glass and made out of wood but cost like almost 700 dollars meh =/ it's gonna take some saving up unless i can get another job soon but i been trying, I fed her the first time last night she ate so well =) but i was thinking maybe i could find a used cage, but i searched it and couldn't find anything

Comment

Hi welcome to the forum! I always admire people who rescue animals, great job! It's a very selfless thing to do. You could look into the boaphile cages, they are a bit pricey too but $209 (not including heat though), but better than $700. Yeah it's hard to find used ones in your area that can be picked up, but keep looking. I think as long as you can maintain decent temps and humidity you are okay with the 40 gallon until you save up some money for a better enclosure. Can't wait to see some pictures. Good luck! And great job on the rescue!

Comment

Hi again,

$700 seems high -- unless you're wanting a showcase of some kind.

The one thing to keep in mind on the boaphiles is that the price is with shipping included so you're not going to be socked with an extra $50-100 on the checkout.

I think if you can spare $200-300 you should be able to get a super good cage from any of the people MLynch suggested.

Like pookie mentioned I think a 40gal is OK until you can save up provided you have good temps and hide in there. I know I used a 55 gallon for a few years and my snake did OK but it was not optimal for my basement so I had upgraded after saving up for a few months.

I have seen a lot of good sized used cages for sale on the various forums -- you might try to check out kingsnake.com for their classifieds... or faunaclassified (sp?) -- you'll definitly get them cheaper there.

I'm just curious if you think the gash is from a rat perhaps? Anyways keep us updated. I always like to hear about an animal getting out of a hell hole and being nursed back to full health

Comment

Hey again, yes those cages were pretty high, I was told from this one guy that has alot of reptiles that I'm gonna end up spending alot for a cage for her unless its used which is fine with me its just the saving up part and how many hours i get at work every week ya know? i just figured the best thing was to get her out of that hell hole at the pet store, yup i am gonna check a few sites here in a couple mins, the gash in her side might be a rat bite i showed it to the same guy that told me about the cages and he said it looked like a rat bite but what's ****ed up is the guy that sold her to me told me she was on prekilled frozen large rats, I don't know how else she'd get it, I'm going to upload some pictures but im just gonna put them in an album on my profile so if anyone want's to see them, cause i have NO idea how to put them on this page lol.

Comment

Originally posted by midnightkisses View Post
                        cause i have NO idea how to put them on this page lol.
                        Here is a tutorial for posting pics through a photobucket account.

http://www.redtailboas.com/forum/pic...otobucket.html

Mat.

Comment

Comment

Thanks Mat, i totally forgot about photobucket havent used it in foreverrr. p.s. i like your user name hah

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X