Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Housing] Red Tail dropped in my Lap

Hello!
    My wife and I just got a Red Tail from a friend of hers that no longer wished to care for her. (didnt like feeding rats)
    So, here I am, with a beautiful 4ft, 1.5 Year old Red tail. Shes sweet as can be, and loves to be out of her cage. Shes currently housed in a home made tank, made out of 11X14 Picture frame glass, with all wood framing, and half glass half wire locking lid.

Down to the point. Lee-Lu came to live with us on short notice, I was not prepared. She currently kept on Newspaper, with a nice mansenita branch as a hide / climb. shes being heated during the day by a 250 watt heat lamp, and at night, by a 100 watt IR. our small 1 bedroom apartment avereages about 70-73 degrees during the day, and will drop into the low 60's at night.

I plan on replacing both bulbs, with a 100watt zoomed ceramic heat emitter, connected to a bah 1000SC thermstat. The bottom of her tank is made of thick ply, i dont think I could use a UTH, unless placed on the side of tank. Do you think the heat emitter will be enough?

I love this snake, and really want to keep her healthy, Im working on building her a new tank, will be all wood, except for the front wich will be plexy. but for now, im doing my best and would really like some guidance from all of you here at this wonderful community!

Re: Red Tail dropped in my Lap

Welcome to Redtailboas forum

Well since the present enclosure is temporary we won't go into that right now.

For enclosure you want to build several people have built enclosures
    from wood on this Forum.

So there are several threads you could look to for ideas or help

At the top is the search feature just put in cage ,enclosure or build enclosure etc...

Here are a few threads to get you started

clickable links below

Enclosure suggestions welcome! click here

Enclosure Just Finished click here

examples of your cages click here

Lar M
    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Here is one I am working on now
      http://www.redtailboas.com/forum/diy...re-update.html

Comment

Thought I would share what i have done so far. Heating supplies and thermo should arrive on monday, then i can get her all moved in!

YouTube - Red Tail Boa Cage

Heres a photo of LeeLu

Last edited by Boadude24; 12-10-2009, 11:03 PM. Reason: added photo

Comment

That's great.

Comment

Thanks, cant wait to have it all finished.

Comment

I would also suggest that you cover the majority on the screen top. That will help hold in heat and humidity.

-Sean in NoCal
              “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
              -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

The screen holes in the top were cut just big enough for the heat and light fixtures to fit. The door, however, does have a screen front, But I cut it the right size so that, once im able to afford it, Plexiglas will slid right in. Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys, keep em coming

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
                I would also suggest that you cover the majority on the screen top. That will help hold in heat and humidity.

Comment

Working...
                X