Help with boa in shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Shedding] Help with boa in shed

My boa is shedding for the first time since I have had him. I noticed her shedding a couple hours ago and all seemed well so I ran out to take care of a couple of things. I just got home and checked her out. She shed about half of her body and that half came off in one nice piece, but the last half is still on her. I can just see where it left off. Now I know most shedding issues have to do with humidity. His humidity is always on the higher side of things. It's about 80% right now.

Should I let her be for a while and give her a chance to shed the next half or should I soak her right away to help the process?

Re: Help with boa in shed

I just want to point out that if you do end up soaking her and pulling the skin off... be careful because the warm water... well... it provokes a bathroom response!

Comment

Well, when I got home from work yesterday I checked on her and she had still not shed the rest of her skin. I gave her a good soak in a seperate tub for about 45 minutes and the skin came off with no problem. And no bathroom response either! lol

Now she's hungry and ready to eat

Comment

Good job Pinky8713...remember to put the humidity guage at ground level and placed near where your boa hangs out...high humidity halfway up the cage is of no use to you....I always check it about 1 inch from ground and when mine are in shed ill also have one stuck to the inside of there hides which is where they will most likely be....

Also while there in shed ill mist them down heavily 2 - 3 times a day....

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I actually just lowered my humidity gauge last night much closer to the ground and am considering picking up another one so that I can have one on each side of the cage.

Like I said, it ended up coming off with no problem after the soak. I just gave her a tunnel to crawl through my hand and it all came right off. I'm just going to mist her more next time when she's going into shed and of course keep watching the humidity levels.

Comment

Working...
          X