Handling Bowman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Handling] Handling Bowman

Well a couple of nights ago i put me hand in while he was out from under the cave, not knowing snakes to well and being nervous as this would be the first time i would be handling a snake without someone experienced handing to me first he made a noise to which i withdrew my hand . realising it was a huff i put my hand back in and he seems to be in the same defencive posse and huffed again, guess what ............ i withdrew my hand again .

After calling myself a wimp i put my hand in again to which bowman just went back under his cave.

I read somewhere that putting an item of clothing in the cage helps the snake get used to your smell so i put the top i was wearing in.

Tonight i was determined to handle him, clean his cage and remove the heat mat.

I put my hand in but he didn't move from under his hide, so i removed it slowly . All bowman did was just lay there, bugger this i thought and started cleaning the side he wasn't on. After laying the new substrate that end he moved over to smell. I take this as a chance to put my hand in again. My hand didn't bother him he just started to come out of the cage next to my hand . He came out a good foot but i didn't have my hands in suitable places to get hold of him without scaring him, as i tried he went into a defencive posse and buggered back off into his cage . I did touch him though while he was sliding to the other side and it didn't seem to bother him.

Take 2 after another 20mins he popped his head out again, his tongue even touched my hand 3 times and his mouth twice so i thought all was going well, i was just waiting for him to come out a foot before i lifted my hand under him, before i could he got all defencive again and reversed back in to the cave back onto the side that needed cleaning .

At this stage its been 90mins of trying so i decided to move him by annoying him and taking up the heat mat from under him, i put the cave on the other side which he went under which enabled me to clean the other side and continue to lay the substrate and move the cave back.

So im still yet to handle him . Going to be more insertive next time

Re: Handling Bowman

best thing to do is pick him up about the middle of his body away from his head and see what he does.

Comment

Yep, grab him in the middle and start laying his front end in your other hand, than move to support the back. don't show fear, they know when you are scared. just get in there and do it.
      Shawn

Comment

Action/Reaction...HMMM if I huff and puff he (you) will back off, Hey works for me. And when you get bit it scares you more than it hurts, it happens so quick you almost wonder what just happened. So just do like the others said and just reach in there and grab him/her about mid body (gently of course) and pick it up. I am sure you will have no problem and the snake will probably even enjoy it
        Good luck but you will not need it,
        Harmon

Comment

All that taunting of him and you're lucky he doesn't bite you. If he hadn't bit you from all the hands and fingers and such you put in front of his face chances arehe's generally docile and you should jut grab him. Put gloves on if you on't want to get bit but I think you're asking for it by teasing him like that.

Comment

Yeah you really need to just go for it. I wouldn't worry much about getting bitten. You'll probably get nabbed once or twice (or more) over the years you'll have the snake.

He will probably be defensiveish till you handle him some, but it's best to either just go for it or not to bother. I know it's your first one so that's easier said than done but just keep at it and don't give up. I'm sure Bowman wants some quality time he's just making you work for it

You can use a glove like others mentioned. Good luck and hang in there!

Comment

I just want to add one thing, the bite when it comes and it will, is going to be surprising but try to avoid the instinct to yank yourself away. If the snake has a good grab on you and you jerk away you could hurt him, just take the bite and let the snake release on it's own.

Mat.

Comment

There are times when your going to need to handle Bowman to get things you need done, ie- cleaning the tank. I assure you they get much more pissy from being poked and prodded, shoved off their mats, dumped into cages, etc.

Here is my best advise until you feel comfortable and trust the snake and he feels like wise. 1) get yourself something you can use as a shield, I will sometimes use a scrap piece of acrylic that I have, you can use whatever. This is only really needed with aggressive snakes or ones you just don't trust at the moment. 2) fashion yourself some kind of snake hook. I don't like snake hooks in general for boas especially large ones b/c you can harm their ribs by concentrating too much weight on the hook as you lift them out. I use an old paint roller without the roller on it. So just the handle and the metal hook part. You can use this to slide the snake towards the front of the enclosure so that you don't need to reach in over the top of their head and startle them. It works for various things but as I said do not pick them up with it. 3) Put on a nice thick sweater or jacket and put some gloves on as well. With a big aggressive snake I will use leather gloves b/c I can still feel and handle well, I have also used fireplace gloves and simply cotton gloves. Ive been bit through cotton and its not that bad.

I am not by any means saying Bowman is aggressive, in fact he seems to be very docile. But with a large snake like that you need to have some confidence with it and you can use some of these tools to help you get there faster.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Thank you all, leather gloves sound like a good idea i have some old ones laying about but i think ill just get in there both handles under is mid belly and slide one to his neckish area to get him out the put him over my neck.

I only annoyed him by ripping the mat up form under him and moving his cave so i could clean the cage as he was laying in his own pee for 3 days and i didn't want him to get skin rot so i thought its in his best interest.

I don't know way im that wimpy around him i feel little pain with a high pain threshold

Comment

Yeah you definitly don't want to deal with scale rot. I've been there and it's not the least bit fun or pretty. I always check in the morning in all cages now (having been through it myself) for 'suprises' and if I smell something funky I'll clean it up asap.

Let us know when you quit being a wimp and tackle the beast. Just playing! But do let us know!

Comment

Originally posted by The Gun View Post
                      ill just get in there both handles under is mid belly and slide one to his neckish area to get him out the put him over my neck.

I don't know way im that wimpy around him i feel little pain with a high pain threshold
                      Careful about putting him on your neck right away. gets him real close to your face. Just let him work through your hands for about 10 min and then put him back, let him get used to you for some time before getting him close to your face. Mine are pretty good with handling, Haven't struck (YET), but i am real careful of face contact. don't want to get bitten there.
                      Shawn

Comment

Yeah keep him off your neck....you just have to go in and grab him don't bring your hands in toward his face just give him a touch to let him know your there and grab him...2 to 3 times a week for now

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Since my last visit here, he has had 2 feeds and a long shed plus the holiday festives I have barely had chance to handle him. I kept putting my hands on him when in the cage etc etc so he gets used to it but yesterday i decided it was the perfect time.

I just put my head in and grabed him, nicely.

Well he is a strong snake and fight me but no aggression or defensiveness. He kept trying to get back under his hide so i just let him run through my hands only getting half his body out of the cage, did this 3 times for round 10 mins so i plan to do it more and more each day getting more of him out for longer.

I have been told to that the previous owners barely handled him towards the end

His health looks perfect now, his poo was solid which worried me as when i first went to see him 2 days before i picked him up he had a very sloppy poo (didn't know at the time it was a bad sign).

He had a long but good shed, all in one piece with eye caps and he his very active now days, with a very distinctive character showing

Comment

Thats perfect man, its not only about your snake getting used to you grabbing him but also about you getting used to him and his reactions. this will allow you the time to get to know his character...good job keep it up

Comment

Originally posted by The Gun View Post
                              At this stage its been 90mins of trying so i decided to move him by annoying him and taking up the heat mat from under him
                              I must be the only one confused by this. Is the heat pad inside the tank and not under it?!

Comment

Working...
                              X