This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding dwarf hamsters

Is there any drawback to feeding a Boa or other snakes, Ball Python, Corn snake, dwarf hamsters? Are thay less nutritious? Any health DANGERS? I found a neighbor who breeds them for pats but has way too many to get rid of and offered to give me all I want for FREE. If there is nothing BAD about them then I would love to go to town on free food. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Re: Feeding dwarf hamsters

I don't think there are any problems with feeding hampsters, gerbils, etc. All are rodent family.

Drawbacks may be availability, cost and diet. Based on what diet they are fed, would be a factor in being fed to your snake.

They are available through rodent feeder suppliers as well. Frozen, and less expensive than store bought.
    To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
    -Clay English
    Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Actually there is a drwback to feeding hamsters to your snakes. They contain a higher fat content than rats do. Which could not be a good thing for a permanent diet for your snake. Also once you feed the snake hamsters, it is HARD to get them to switch back to the rats.mice too. I do use hamsters here at times for feedings, we breed them also. They are used with ball pythons that won't feed. Ball pythons will usually feed on hamsters np as they are close to what they eat in the wilds.. gerboas. I wouldn't suggest switching any snake to a permanent diet of hamsters at all myself.

Comment

thanks for the advice, I will take some because they are FREE but I will keep them just in case I cannot get mice, sometimes a problem.

Comment

One disadvantage of dwarf hamsters is their size. As your snakes get bigger, keep in mind that it is better for your snake to have one appropriate size prey item per feeding rather than multiple small items. Many people have noticed a big difference in the health and growth of their snakes from using just one good sized prey item per feeding b27.gif. Of course there are always exceptions, such as not wanting to waste an item that another snake won't eat, or slowly nursing an undernourished snake back to health, etc. but these are the exceptions. My two cents.
          PT

Comment

Working...
          X