whistling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] whistling

hi guys i have a 5 y/o female columbian rtb who has delveloped a very heavy sounding breathing. when she breathes in is sounds like it is difficult and her nose seems to whistle when she breathes out it almost sounds like a low hiss then she slightly opens her mouth and it sounds like an angry hiss!.
    i can hear the whistling in her tank from accross the room i haven't had the greates situation recently she was at my parents house 2 hrs away i could only get to see her every week for feeding.
    and i dont think my brother kept as good care fo her as i would have liked mainlyout of fear of her.
    my tank usually sits around 40-60% humidity and low 80s on the hot side considerably cooler on the water side glass elcosure wire top apen substrate
    the tank is too small for her, so much so i am embarrassed to give the dimentions but as i am only babysitting the snake i cannot afford the charity of footing the bill for a new tank.
    my question is.
    is the dustyness of the aspen possibly causing her a problem and/or should i raise the humidity and heat for another night i did it 2 nights ago yesterday the wheezing was gone but today its back
    HELP!

Re: whistling

It sounds like respiratory infection (RI) to me. You should read the Ultimate Care Guide, it has great information in it. Its on the left side of the page.

Comment

Welcom to the forums. I suggest you check out the Ultimate Care Guide on the side bar of the site. It has tons of useful info..

Sounds like your temps are way to cool. Cool temps can cause respiratory infections. I would raise the hot side up to 92 and the cool side should be low 80s. Also put some foil or plexiglass over 2/3 of the screen top to help with humidity. The boa will probably do much better in an appropriate sized plastic storage tub with a under tank heater for heat instead of a cage that is much to small. That is a very cheap rout to do the right thing for this animal instead of it suffering and being cramped.

Comment

My suggestion would be to increase your humidity slightly. If you maintain a hot spot around 90 and a ambient around 80 the temps are fine. If not, make it that way but any hotter isn't goingto do anything. If you can afford a few bucks I say go to wal-mart and pick her up a sterilite tub, it'll keep humidty much better than a glass aquarium and can be much larger. they sell some tubs that are 3ftx2ft. it'll only cost you like 8 bucks. You may wnat to look into a vet if she doens't get better and get her on antibiotics.

Comment

The boa will probably do much better in an appropriate sized plastic storage tub with a under tank heater for heat instead of a cage that is much to small. That is a very cheap rout to do the right thing for this animal instead of it suffering and being cramped.[/QUOTE]

i have a large plastic tub for her that i use for feeding but if i were to put her heating pad on the plastic container it would heat the plastic and release toxins into her enclosure would it not?
          i know the tank is too small that is why she gets 1-3 hrs of outside time everyday to stretch i do the best with what i was give thank you for the suggestion though please answer as to whether or not this heating pad will heat up the plastic too much

Comment

Re: whistling UPDATES

hey guys i want to thank you all for your suggestions i raised the temps to the high 80s almost 90s on the hot side and the humidity to about 87-88% and held it there since last night.
            her breathing has eased and the whistling has stopped i also did an oral examination and her gums are normal
            no mucus or other discharge
            and no apparent discolouration to the inside of her mouth although she didnt seem to appreciate my efforts if not for my glove i would be having a much harder time typing.
            thank you again everybody
            i am going to keep the humidity up for tonight just to make sure and let it work itself down to a regular humidity itself overnight.
            more updates tomorrow and thank you again!
            (i also have not taken her out of her enclosure as my tub is not much bigger than the tank and i am not sure if the uth will damage the plastic or release toxins into the enclosure.)
            please if anybody may have information about uth on a plastic tub let me know. thanks guys

Comment

Re: whistling UPDATES

Originally posted by xander2232 View Post
              hey guys i want to thank you all for your suggestions i raised the temps to the high 80s almost 90s on the hot side and the humidity to about 87-88% and held it there since last night.
              her breathing has eased and the whistling has stopped i also did an oral examination and her gums are normal
              no mucus or other discharge
              and no apparent discolouration to the inside of her mouth although she didnt seem to appreciate my efforts if not for my glove i would be having a much harder time typing.
              thank you again everybody
              i am going to keep the humidity up for tonight just to make sure and let it work itself down to a regular humidity itself overnight.
              more updates tomorrow and thank you again!
              (i also have not taken her out of her enclosure as my tub is not much bigger than the tank and i am not sure if the uth will damage the plastic or release toxins into the enclosure.)
              please if anybody may have information about uth on a plastic tub let me know. thanks guys
              undertank heater should not damage the plastic or release toxins, this is a very common way of keeping many types of snakes.

You need to keep a close eye on the snake to make sure the problem does not worsen. upping temps can cure the problem, but often other measures are needed.

There is a method that uses simple cheap over the counter products if you need it

Comment

Working...
              X