No announcement yet.

Quick question about humidity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] Quick question about humidity.

I was just wondering what non shed-related problems can develop by low humidity. Any input is appreciated.

Re: Quick question about humidity.

You can have perfect temperatures, but still get a respiratory infection , due to too low of humidity . It's funny that when people have a snake that actually has an RI , they often make the cage warmer, and cut the humidity -- but in fact, increasing the humidity is the better way to go.

Comment

too low humidity can also lead to dehydration.

There is nothing wrong with increasing the temps by a couple of degrees with RI, as long as the humidity is also increased by about 5%

Comment

Originally posted by Morgans Boas View Post
        You can have perfect temperatures, but still get a respiratory infection , due to too low of humidity . It's funny that when people have a snake that actually has an RI , they often make the cage warmer, and cut the humidity -- but in fact, increasing the humidity is the better way to go.
        Originally posted by bladeblaster View Post
        too low humidity can also lead to dehydration.

There is nothing wrong with increasing the temps by a couple of degrees with RI, as long as the humidity is also increased by about 5%
        This is interesting. I too have heard you should raise the humidity (and temps) with an RI. I just had a very recent case of RI though and I decided to use the "old school" method of raising temps and lowering humidity and the RI went away on it's own. It's been a couple of weeks now and I have since raised humidity to appropriate levels with no more symptoms.

Blade is right. Keeping too low humidity can lead to dehydration and that is a VERY bad thing. Dehydration can lead to many severe complications and eventually death.

So basically, if you are having humidity issues...FIX them.

Comment

Thanks folks. I've started having a bit of an issue with my cage this winter. I live in an apartment with two other people, and I live in Indiana. So I can't keep my room as warm as I would like for her. I have a 40 gal glass tank and I've been using a carpet liner. So there isn't really anything in the tank to hold moisture. I can keep the humidity up in the tank, but not without causing condensation on the sides and bottom glass. I guess I should get some kind of bedding in there.

Comment

Working...
          X