Vet advice vs. Breeder advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Lighting] Vet advice vs. Breeder advice

So i took a trip to my local vet a couple days ago and just to be clear, he is not a herp vet nor is he certified in specializing in reptiles..... but he seems to have knowledge of snakes. He asked me how my husbandry was and how i heated my enclosures and whatnot, and of course i told him the same thing i have read in multiple books and the ultimate care guide that i have my UTH and overhead heat source both on on side... and he suggested that i put my UTH on one side and my overhead heat on the other to creat a slope in heat drop rather than have a hot side and it drops cold turkey to a cool side..... and i talked to a local BREEDER that said absolutely NOT to do that..... who do i listen to..... what would you do and what advice do you have for me....

Re: Vet advice vs. Breeder advice

as long as you have a ambient temp around 82 and a basking of 90 your fine....i have had several different set ups and sometimes I have had to keep My Overhead heat on the basking side and sometimes on the ambient side...In some set ups I don't even need overhead heat...

What are your temps like now....I guess thats the most important question if you have 90 on one side and 70 on the other then yes you need to move it to the other side

The way I set up my cage may not necessarily work for you....you need to set it up in a way that will provide the proper enviorment for your snake

ambient temp around 82 and a basking in the low 90's

Comment

You're using a glass type enclosure ???

Doesn't really matter in my opinion, it should be heat on one side cooler on the other

Jason covers it well and brings up some important points
      ambient Temps and no extremes

So to achieve that possibly you would arrange your heat devices appropriately

The heat gradient could be created also by putting the uth
      just off center leaning towards the hotter side

That can work also but sort of depends on how much space you have to work with

Its also known that is I've heard Jeff (Ronne) say that Boas can be kept at a constant 84*
      aprox., for instance when heating an entire room

I like the gradient plus if a person is planning on breeding eventually ,
      a gradient should be maintained I believe
      Last edited by Boa Amarali; 12-14-2009, 12:07 AM.

Lar M
      Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
        Its also known that is I've heard Jeff (Ronne) say that Boas can be kept at a constant 84*
        aprox., for instance when heating an entire room
        I have also heard this and know many other breeders do this as well.

The exception would be gravid females who still need a hot spot to lay on.

Comment

Everyone covered it, but it actually sounds like the vet and the breeder are accomplishing the same thing in two different ways. One just might be better than the other at certain times. When I just had my Dumerils I had him in a glass cage (this was before I came here and learned) and I had to two UTHs and a heat lamp. On the cool side I had the UTH on the side of the tank and not at the bottom and it was the only way I could keep the hot side warm enough and the cool side from getting too cold. With my Boaphiles I only have the Flexwatt on one side, but I have a space heater in here year-round conntected to a thermostat so if it gets too cool the heater keeps the room temperature up which helps a lot.

Comment

Working...
          X