Why did you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Misc] Why did you?

Why did we all turn into snake lovers? What was it that made us the snake loving people we are today? I would like to open this thread to talk about what it was that brought us all here together to relate to each other. I think that with all that is going on with holiday season and snake bans and all the hard work we put into fighting for our snakes, we should step back a remember the time when we thought, "This is a really cool animal?" I remember when I was a kid and never had a fear of anything. Then one day picking up a little garter snake and holding it, whille it braced itself on my finger I thought, "how cool!" Now I sit by the tanks at night and just watch them and think this truly is one of the worlds most extravagant creatures.

Re: Why did you?

It definatly is awesome. I think I do it because I like to watch them grow under my care. They are such a amazing species and awesome t work with.

Comment

well... the easy way to put it for me is....i like everything about them, especially my boas i loves me some boas we have all kinds of diff snakes here but my fave is, and always will be, my little colombian bci, they are where my heart really is well maybe the only bad thing would be cleaning up big poos? lol

Comment

For me, it started when I was 5 years old catching and keeping garter snakes. At 12, I went to an animal expo and got a Cuban Boa from Terry of Captive Born Reptiles. I started going to the All Ohio Reptile Show and randomly bringing home snakes, that's what really got me addicted. When I was a teenager I started breeding boas with a male and female that I adopted as adults.

What keeps me into it now is all the cool morphs and all the combinations you can make with them. The BPs got me into morphs but I always liked boas better. Once more boa morphs started appearing and the prices became reasonable I sold all my BPs and put my money into more boas. I think boas will always be my love, especially the Cuban's and other insular Epicrates.
        http://www.iherp.com/topshelfmorphs

http://www.facebook.com/boidsohio

Comment

hey you have other epicrates? what else do you have? please post pics if you got em! im just now getting into some of the epicrates

Comment

I was a kid. I went to a pet store. I saw a "red-tail boa". I thought, "That is pretty cool." It was just your average pet shop boa, I didn't have any of the information on husbandry that is available online now and I didn't know any better than to listen to the pet store guy. I did the whole glass tank-heat rock-screen top thing. I remember him shedding in pieces occasionally and I didn't even know that was not a good thing. I loved him.

One day because I didn't know any better, my boa got out of his crappy enclosure and somehow got outside. One of my neighbors thought it was a copperhead and killed it with a shovel.

The next snake I got was an albino burmese python. I thought he was the coolest looking thing I had ever seen, but (most likely due to my inexperience handling snakes) he was a mean S.O.B. and I could never get him to chill out. Of course, with the knowledge I have now I can look back and see that he was just playing tough guy while he was in his cage. Once I got him out he was fine but I was too nervous most of the time to handle him properly. When he got "too big" I eventually sold him to someone else who kept snakes and that was the end of my snake adventures for about 17 years or so. Fast forward to late '08. My 8 year old son sees a pet shop boa and decides he thinks they are pretty cool. This time, although I did get him a pet shop boa(the last time that will happen, believe you me)I set out to make sure that all his needs are met as they should be. This quest eventually leads me to www.redtailboas.com where I begin to learn 'how deep the rabbit hole goes'. My love of learning, affinity for ongoing science projects and an inherent attraction to snakes combine into a perfect storm that has significantly altered the course of my life. I have dedicated countless hours studying Boas and lots of money planning and putting together the first of what will hopefully become a diverse and interesting collection of Boa morph breeding groups. I have loved every minute of it.

My only regret is that I didn't realize what passed me by during my brief encounters with these amazing animals when I was younger. If only I had gotten more involved in the wider herp community when I had the chance. It would be nice to have 15 years of husbandry and breeding experience under my belt. It would have been nice to been around to witness the amazing growth and development of this industry that I am now having to read about on other peoples' websites. Que sera, sera. I don't intend to have to say the same thing 15 years from now. I will be saying, "Hey, remember when Jeff proved out the Key West project? Who knew what amazing developments where ahead of us then?"

My early history with pet snakes reads like a list of all the most common mistakes made by beginning reptile enthusiasts. I wish I had not lacked the maturity and wisdom to do the research to make sure I could care for my first snakes the way they deserved. While I do not agree with the lack of effort the majority of pet stores put forth to properly educate their customers - and in some cases the blatant ignorance or apathy they themselves display with regard to the needs of the animals in their care, I cannot bring myself to condemn the pet store model. I believe that a significant number of people who will eventually become part of our community may never have been exposed to these amazing animals if they don't happen to wander past that endcap display at Petco that has those little baby "red tail boas" in it. I am one of those people.

Comment

Hmm, ok here we go.

Just for back referance my dad had done the snake thing until he married my mom back in the day (I guess she made him get rid of them), but he had a boa and a lot of other stuff.

Anyways, It was 1993 and I had just turned a whopping 11 and my dad was all like hey lets go check out the pet store. We went and we were looking at snakes (all they had back then were Ball Pythons, atleast here...) and I was like oh no they are slimey blah blah they will eat me. They let us hold one and it was pretty instant that Iwas like wow this is the coolest thing since GI Joes and Pepsi.

The snake became my watch for thewhole ride home, just hanging around my wrist. It gave me a good 1 year before a bad accident with the cats during an escape left it on the decline... My dad then replaced it with another Ball from St Louis that was already huge like 4+ foot but it never ate for us and died 2 weeks later mysteriously (I think it was wild caught to be honest).

From this time on I was really not wanting any snake again. I had given up, but luckily for me my uncle lives in the middle of no where and we bbq'd there a lot. I'd always go lizard and snake hunting and catch literally 20 or 30 a day (they were just ring-necks though nothing amazing) but I finally was like "I think I'm ready, but I'll never do Ball Pythons again"

So.... I ended up in a different St Louis pet store and I saw Fred, my 3rd snake, a california banded kingsnake. I picked him up and he gave me 13 1/2 years before he passed (he was around 1 1/2 - 3 when I got him...) but during this time I realized it wasn't me that was the problem I just had a bad run in and a snake who probably didn't belong in a cage. Fred rejuvinated my interest of course and about 1 year before he passed I got my first boa ever (and my 4th snake ,excluding the locals id catch here and there). That was probably 5 years ago, MAYBE 6, but I think more like 5.

Since then I've just really grown a lot fonder of them. It was really being able to have Fred that got me to where I am today. My dad never gave me much and left shortly after getting Fred but I definitly owe my snake love to him, because prior to that I was one of the people we try to covert.

My entire family really like them, and one of my sisters even holds them from time to time (but she's a freak and had a tarantula!). Every other week or so when the niece and nephew come to visit the first thing they do is come down and be like "Uncle Bryan can we see the snakes" so I think I'll continue to pass it along to them and one day maybe they'll be replying to a similar thread.

Comment

I really think it is inspirational to see what everyone has wrote. Just let's you know that for a bunch of people who doesn't really know each other or didn't we are all brought together in a common place to get to know each other.

Comment

I think deep down inside there is a part of us owners who can relate to some trait in which any snake possesses. I personally am a secluded person and really like the quiet, so naturally my snakes and I get along great.

some of the things that drove me to get snakes are;

my busy work schedule...
                  -snakes dont eat my furniture
                  -snakes dont pee on my floor while im gone
                  -snakes can be left alone for a few days at a time

Snakes dont bark at people walking by
                  Snakes dont smell funny (unless of course...)

My obsession with vehcile cleanliness
                  -snakes dont shed fur all over the place (I find fur on clothing very embarassing)

All in all though I really love learning about new things and as a young child I was always taught that snakes were all the common sterotypes, when I eventually found out differently I was intrigued.

Comment

haha yeah I can definitely relate to all of what you said.

Comment

Well I've always loved all animals. I was one of those kids who liked to pick up animals and bugs off the ground and admire them (well I still am). I always begged my mom to take me to pet stores just to see the animals ( Now I can drive there myself or manipulate my boyfriend into taking me). I've always wanted a snake, but growing up my mom wouldn't allow me to have one. Three years ago I bought a corn snake without asking my boyfriend (he eventually got over it) and ever since I've been hooked to snakes. I've purchased 2 a year since then. Seems to have become a trend hehehe. Snakes are just awesome pets, they are easy to care for and they are fascinating to watch and hold. Gorgeous hypnotic creatures.

Comment

I never really cared much for snakes either. I was a little afraid of being bitten when I would be around big ones, but not enough to make a scene or refuse to touch them.

Then a year ago I started dating a girl who bought a baby red tail just before Christmas. She was not allowed to have it where she lived and so she stored it at a friends house. After a few months, she noticed the friend's house was just not logical and was becoming a bad environment for the baby boa. So she decided to find it a new place to stay... in the meantime I offered to house it at my place thinking it would only be a few weeks and it would be gone.
                        Well a few weeks went by and my girlfriend told me that she had found a place for the baby... I told her no. I said the snake was staying at my place because I was becoming attached.
                        Few months later along with time and money invested in the snake... the girl and I broke up and she wanted the snake back. Once again, I told her NO! We fought about it for a while and ultimately, I won. I burned any and all bridges with the girl... but I got the snake!

My ex-named her Alice after a character in Twilight? Anywho, I now adore Alice and would not give her up for anything. And besides, she is a complete chick magnet! :P

Comment

Working...
                        X