Not so smart Boa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Housing] Not so smart Boa?

Hello everyone, My CRT is almost 2 years old, tho I have only had her a few months. She just shed, and is now pushing 5ft. I built her a new custom cage of plywood, Heated with a 250WATT IR at one end, and a 50WATT IR in the middle.

The Basking Temp under the large light is 88-93F.
    The Ambient temp in the middle of the Tank is 83F
    THE FAR end of her 6ft tank, is in the mid 70's

I woke up this morning, and she was laying behind the water dish, on the cold end of the tank. I reached in to pet her, and got no movement. She was cold to the touch.

Here is a short video clip that shows the cage i made for her, sorry theres no sound. In this clip, you will notice (2) 250WATT bulbs on one end. I ended up removing one, because my temps were breaking 100F on the basking end.

http://snakebytestv.ning.com/video/all-done

Do you think a bigger bulb in the middle? should I add a Fasle bottom and convert to flexwatt? Please help, I want my baby Girl to be happy, and healthy!!
    Last edited by Boadude24; 12-30-2009, 01:11 PM. Reason: added video link

Re: Not so smart Boa?

Most snakes will fell cold to the touch and sometimes ive noticed my go to the cool side before a shed. The reasopn a snake will feel cold to the touch is because they are generally 93 degrees F and your 98.6*F

Comment

Originally posted by RTB_luver View Post
      Most snakes will fell cold to the touch and sometimes ive noticed my go to the cool side before a shed. The reasopn a snake will feel cold to the touch is because they are generally 93 degrees F and your 98.6*F

From what I read on most care sheets, a Boa should never feel cold, nor hot to touch..She just finished her shed a few days ago as well.
      I just to make sure shes going to be ok

Comment

welcome to RTB, boadude! first of all, i'd like to point you to the ultimate care guide (linked on the left side of the homepage). it's got TONS of great info in it, for both new and experienced keepers alike

as for your issue...

Originally posted by RTB_luver View Post
        The reasopn a snake will feel cold to the touch is because they are generally 93 degrees F and your 98.6*F
        they are generally NOT 93 degrees... mid-80s more like it. they will generally feel cool to the touch, but shouldn't be cold.

as for your temps, i would say the cool side is a bit TOO cool. you can try a higher-wattage bulb in the middle and see how that works...

keep us updated!

*edit* the cool side shouldn't be any cooler than 78. preferably 80, or just a bit over that.
        Last edited by dangles; 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

What about switching to heat tape? I do have a thermostat i could use. The bottom of my cage is plywood, and I keep her on newspaper, would i have to add a false bottom, or could i heat right under the paper?

Comment

Originally posted by Boadude24 View Post
            What about switching to heat tape? I do have a thermostat i could use. The bottom of my cage is plywood, and I keep her on newspaper, would i have to add a false bottom, or could i heat right under the paper?
            how thick is the plywood? you could attach it underneath, but you'd have to raise the cage just a bit to allow air-flow. you could also do a false-bottom. i wouldn't put it inside the cage if you can avoid it, though.

i did, and wished i hadn't. it can lead to all kinds of problems (spilled water + electrically charged heat-tape = DISASTER). i haven't had any problems like that, yet, but i sealed all around mine with silicone, so it's waterproof. but that's a pain

*edit* i put plexiglass over the flexwatt (heat tape), which is what i sealed with silicone... in case that wasn't clear...

Comment

The bottom is 1/2inch Ply would it heat threw without being a major fire hazard?

Comment

Originally posted by Boadude24 View Post
                The bottom is 1/2inch Ply would it heat threw without being a major fire hazard?
                it's not so much the fire hazard (though it could be, but that's the nature of heat tape), it just may not be ABLE to heat through that much material.

can you post some pictures of your enclosure from several different angles so i can see what you've got to work with?

Comment

Im stuck at work all day untill 7pm PST. But my wife is at home, once she gets lazy butt up, ill ask her snap a few shots.

** you might be able to see by going here http://snakebytestv.ning.com/profile/Lou and watching the videos. you will notice some changes made threw-out them. **

Comment

Hows it going Boadude....I did not see a hide in the cage...Do you have one now...

Comment

Originally posted by jgonzalez305 View Post
                      Hows it going Boadude....I did not see a hide in the cage...Do you have one now...

I have not. She spends her time under the news paper, Im yet to find an actual hide large enough for her yet.

I took her in from a friend that refused to feed her rats anymore, I am still trying to get everything I need on short notice.

#1 was the cage built, I think I have some extra peices of ply left, I might be able to toss a hide box together with that..

Comment

how much have you got to work with? your best/easiest bet would be a radient heat panel (RHP ---> RBI Radiant Heat Panels - Reptile Basics Inc, Pro-Products | Heating Solutions)

they're pricey, but everyone i know who uses them LOVES them. very natural heat, and won't dry the cage out like lights or ceramic heat emitters (CHE). they don't use much electricity, either. lights and CHEs use TONS

otherwise, you'll probably need to create a false-bottom of some sorts for the flexwatt (heat tape).

Comment

Honestly...the first thing I would do is get her/him a hide even if its a temporary one out of cardboard box...she probably feels secure nestled behind the water dish and that's why shes hiding out there and braving the cold..

Put the hide in the hot side and "You" put her under it..don't let her find it...I think she will stay in it...and warm up

Comment

Originally posted by jgonzalez305 View Post

Put the hide in the hot side and "You" put her under it..don't let her find it...I think she will stay in it...and warm up
                            good advice...

Comment

The heat panel maybe something I can move to in the future, But right now, just after the holidays im stuck on a budget.

the cage is 6'long X 3' deep X 2' high do you think (2) strips of 11inch heat tape on one end of the cage would do it? I could make each strip 24inchs long.

The screen at the top of the cage where i have lights now, I can cover with a damp towel, I have been having humidity issues anyways.

I think the false bottom with plexi and silicone will be the way to go, ill have to find another place to house her for a few days while the silicone drys, and make sure the the heat is right.

Im amazed that the heat tape will heat a cage that big, when 2 lights are failing lol

Comment

Working...
                              X