Crappy Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] Crappy Question

I have had a couple of RTBs for a few months now, and I have a concern about one of them, which I can't seem to find answers for in my boa books or the Ultimate Care Guide. Anyway, my concern is that my yearling female has never ever pooped on her own without me having to give her a bath. She is a fantastic eater and consistently eats a good-sized meal every week, but she never poops in her cage. So about once a month I start getting concerned and give her a warm bath in my tub, and she unloads all kinds of crap. I am just wondering if this is ever normal? How often should a RTB fed weekly actually poop? I don't really want to be having to give her baths in my tub when she grows to be eight feet long! Any suggestions?

Re: Crappy Question

whats the temps humidty size of the cage substrate what kind of boa meal size feeding schedual this will all help

if the humidty is to low they can have issues with BM's

Comment

Yeah, all that info would greatly help....

I have a little guy that always soaks in his water dish prior to dropping the big deuce. As gross as it sounds... maybe put a water dish in there he can fit in... you will hate cleaning it... but at least he'll poo for you...

And honestly, I would not worry about it unless it carry's over longer than a month or 3 weeks... I have some guys that only drop once a month.

Comment

hey, atleast you dont have to clean it out of the cage everytime it poops.

Comment

You could try giving her a spray with warm water. This often makes my guy drop a load if he has to go.

Comment

Boas poop less frequently as they get older generally (in my experience). But each boa is different. Personally, I wouldn't worry about a Boa until it had gone a couple months without pooping.

Next time your handling her, and its been a while since she pooped, feel the area in front of her cloaca. If you feel a lot of hard masses, she's probably getting "full". If you don't feel anything, then she probably still has a while to go. But if she does feel full, and doesn't poop for a couple weeks, then I'd give her a good soak.
            "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

Erin (monkeywrench) summed it up. A month w/o a BM is nothing to worry about. Boas in captivity can get constipated though and it's usually from dehydration and inactivity. If you get your boa out of his cage fairly regularly and it's well hydrated (fresh drinking water and good humidity) they should go after a few meals regularly.

Comment

I usually wait for mine to poo because she does it every week! It is like she eats she digests she poos. I hope you find a solution.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your responses! That is reassuring to know that no poo for a month isn't so unusual for boas. Let me see if I can answer your questions and elaborate on her set-up. I appreciate any constructive criticism. She was an expensive critter, so I really can't afford to mess up on the basics. Anyway, my snake is a yearling female Kahl Sunglow RTB, and she is approximately three feet long now. I keep her by herself in a four-foot long glass enclosure with an UTH and aspen bedding. She has a large water dish, that she could actually sit in if she wanted to. I have plastic wrap taped over the screen lid to help maintain humidity. Her humidity is about 55% with an ambient temperature of 70 degrees and a hot spot at 92 degrees, measured with a temp gun. She eats once a week and never refuses anything. I was giving her two F/T weaned rats a week until I ran out of those, and she has been eating three F/T adult mice at a time for the past couple of weeks. I have more rats ordered and will switch back to those once they arrive, starting her off with one small rat weekly. I do try to get her out and handle her at least a couple times a week, but she is not really that active on her own. She has a couple of fake trees to climb, but she never does. I tried giving her a basking lamp, but she never was interested in basking, so I took it away. She pretty much just hides out all day in her warm-side hide unless I get her out to play. So, I think that pretty much sums up how I am caring for her. If it sounds like I am doing anything wrong, please let me know. So, just to clarify, if I let her go for a little more than a month with no poo, that is probably not a big deal, right? It certainly does make cage-maintenance easy, but I really want to make sure she is healthy and that I am doing everything right. Thanks again for your feedback!

Comment

Sounds like a decent set up, however, what's the actual floor temperature on the cool side? 70 sounds a little cool for an ambient to me. I have all my cages set up with a hot and cool side UTH, with hot side at about 96, cool side at 80. My ambients are usually about 75.

Your feeding schedule sounds about right to me, but definitely get her back on rats as soon as you can. There's nothing wrong with mice, per se, but there is more meat on rats, and I think they're a healthier meal.

And, No, if she goes more than a month without pooping, I wouldn't be alarmed. A couple months is when I'd start getting concerned. However, what, and how often you feed will influence that as well. Having switched to mice, she may poo less often, and become more regular when you go back to rats simply because they're a bigger meal.
                    "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

Ok i had the same problem a couple years ago you have to be patient lol. I did the same bathed him every time i thought was to long in between poops then i started spraying him down with warm water and that seemed to help but after awhile he started pooping on his own and now he poops about once every five weeks. And 70 seems a little to cool.

Comment

Working...
                      X