Space heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] Space heater

Alright you all, I know I am a Miami winp when it comes to cold weather but it is cold out there and tomorrow in Miami, it is suspose to be 35 out in the morning and also be cold all week again.

SO I need some advise with space heaters. I am not familiar with them and have heard horror stories of fires and such. What all precautions should I do?

I have a ceramic space heater I picked up yesterday and it is on the garage floor with no carpet or anything around it. Can I use a extension cord? The instructions do not say anything about that. I am scarred to leave it on all night also. DO you all think I would be alright to leave it on. My temps in the cages are way off and I feel like I have to do something to heat my garage a little. The top 421 is my problem. The t-stat will not go any higher. In other words, if I have it set on 92 and want to raise it to 93, it will not make it to 93. Now if I wanted to lower it to 91, it will turn off.

Re: Space heater

Whats up follow.....Its cold down here hah. Yesterday I got home and it was 58 degrees in my living room...thats crazy for miami..

You cant bring your snakes into the house temporarily....

Comment

Originally posted by jgonzalez305 View Post
      Whats up follow.....Its cold down here hah. Yesterday I got home and it was 58 degrees in my living room...thats crazy for miami..

You cant bring your snakes into the house temporarily....
      They are all sitting on the hotspots anyways which is currently only 84 but that is still better then the cool side which is 74. If they were on the cool end, I would move them but they are not.

My fatstacks are fine, it is only the 421's. I also did not feed them the last 2 weeks on purpose since the cold weather was coming in.

Comment

ya follow, it been chilly huh? i was in miami this past weekend for the pittsburgh game. and picked up an oil filled radiator at target. i also have a small ceramic space heater in my snake room. with the two of them going i can keep the temps up but you have to make sure they are on differnet circuits because they both draw 12.5 amps, and 1500 watts. when using an extension cord make sure it is a heavy duty one rated at least 1500 watts. also you will want them on a tstat of some sort in case the weather turns hot again so that you dont cook your babys. iam also in the process of insulating the entire room to keep the temps more stable and easier to manage. something to think about,

Comment

Joe pick your self up a oil filled raidiator space heater,much safer and it's a nice comfortable heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Atrayu View Post
            Joe pick your self up a oil filled raidiator space heater,much safer and it's a nice comfortable heat.

I'll second that motion... I talked to Chris (Dangles) about this same thing a couple of days ago. Safe, nice, and has a built in thermostat. I'm picking one up today. Around $40.00 at Wal-Mart.
            "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Thank you all, I appreciate the info.

Comment

oil-filled radiator is the way to go

as for the extension cord, it's been covered, but make sure you use a LARGE gauge cord (heavy duty, rated for 1500w). NOT - i repeat - NOT one of those dinky $2 brown or white ones... you will BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Comment

Originally posted by dangles View Post
                  oil-filled radiator is the way to go

as for the extension cord, it's been covered, but make sure you use a LARGE gauge cord (heavy duty, rated for 1500w). NOT - i repeat - NOT one of those dinky $2 brown or white ones... you will BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

I have it plugged directly into the wall at this point. I'm going to leave it on until midnight and then unplug it again. I wish I could leave it on all night. Right now, I have blankets over the cages and it is getting warmer by the second.

Comment

Working...
                  X