This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabbits are the key to a big boa

If you want your adult boa to grow lenght-wise, then feed it rabbits. Even BCI can grow up to 10ft without powerfeeding with rabbits. But it might not be good for breeders because who wants to try and breed a 10 foot female.

Re: Rabbits are the key to a big boa

But it might not be good for breeders because who wants to try and breed a 10 foot female.
    WHY NOT?? I have 10' female breeders here. they eat rabbits and they also produce nicely when they clutch too. Usually about 33 on the average  ;D YA just don't bother them when they are in breeding, they kinda let ya know they don't want to be disturbed at all lol.
    I also have 8' & 9' male breeders too.  ;D

Comment

I think rabbits are a bit cheaper too, compared with feeding multiple rats

Comment

Even cheaper if ya can breed your own wabbits ;D We have about 13 female and 4 male breeder wabbits here atm. Of course their babies too hehe

Comment

You can probably start feeding small rabbits when your boa get to be around 6ft, right Lori?

Comment

You can feed up to and including the thickest part of your boa... Mine is 6 1/2" around so I can feed a prey item 6" around. I know people that breed rabbits and feed even the baby's to there smaller boas... This is not recomended enless you have a supply of them because your boa can become usta feeding on them and you may have quit the time getting to feed on rats again if you needed to...
            Eric aka...Red

Comment

All personal preferences here. It is easier to feed the larger boas just 1 rabbit for sure, but I have never had a problem feeding them 2 Jumbo Rats. I just lay the rats on the newspaper anyway and leave them alone.

I made a promise to my little girl that I would never feed rabbits (she has a pet one) to the boas.

So I will stick to my word. Plus I raise my own rats, and the convienience is just too good for me.

But from what I have heard, a rabbit is like the ultimate "treat" for a boa constrictor.

Availability is the key for each person in their unique area.
              To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
              -Clay English
              Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Kits aka newborn wabbits are about the size of a 2-3 week old rat pup. So I guess if one wanted to ya could feed them from that point...BUT you'd best have a TON of breeder wabbits on hand or be ready to pay for them. I don't know of any wabbit breeder that's about to let go of kits at all.
                So yes one could feed wabbits at 6' length on the snake. Just need wabbits of apppropriate sizing is all. Which ya can get your hands on. I wouldn't reccomend it though unless you have a great supplier at a low cost OR you are breeding your own wabbits.
                I also breed rats here. With as many snakes as I have that need to feed on HUGE rats/or decent sized wabbits... It makes more sense for me to be feeding them wabbits once they get to the HUGE rat size in prey basically. Especially if they need two of the huge rats in a feeding. I also have agreed with my kids that the adult breeders are not going to be killed, AND the babies they have are snake food. ;D

Comment

Kits aka newborn wabbits are about the size of a 2-3 week old rat pup. So I guess if one wanted to ya could feed them from that point...BUT you'd best have a TON of breeder wabbits on hand or be ready to pay for them. I don't know of any wabbit breeder that's about to let go of kits at all.
                  So yes one could feed wabbits at 6' length on the snake. Just need wabbits of apppropriate sizing is all. Which ya can get your hands on. I wouldn't reccomend it though unless you have a great supplier at a low cost OR you are breeding your own wabbits.
                  I also breed rats here. With as many snakes as I have that need to feed on HUGE rats/or decent sized wabbits... It makes more sense for me to be feeding them wabbits once they get to the HUGE rat size in prey basically. Especially if they need two of the huge rats in a feeding. I also have agreed with my kids that the adult breeders are not going to be killed, AND the babies they have are snake food. ;D

Comment

Working...
                  X