I need help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Shedding] I need help!!!!

I got my first red tail a week and a half ago and when i got her they told me she was getting ready to shed. Well, her eyes haven't turned and i don't know what is going on but i've noticed little tiny scales of skin falling off of her. The temp and humidity in the cage is just about perfect and i have sprayed her twice a day since i got her, also they told me to soak her in water with mineral oil, said i could do it once a week and i've done it twice, once when we came home with her then a week later. I just want to know if this is normal or if its something i should be worried about. If anyone could help me out i would really appreciate it. Thank You!

Re: I need help!!!!

Don't soak her in mineral oil. That is what is making her scales come off like that. Just keep her humidity at about 60% and everything should be fine. There is absolutely no reason to soak a boa if all your husbandry is good.

Comment

You don't need to soak her , and you don't need to spray her . If you need to acheive humidity levels of 60% or higher , you can spray hot water on the cage walls and ceiling. Boas are typically dry snakes that require proper humidity. Some people place big water tubs for "soaking" , but they usually only soak for 3 reasons -

1> If they have mites.

2> They are using their oversized water dish as a hiding area . I say switch to a smaller dish and give them a proper hide.

3 > They're about to pooh .

I don't use such large dishes since I keep the room in the correct hudity/temp ranges. Plus I can not stand it when they pee or pooh in their water - sick

Now , the only time that I do spray water actually on them is when their eyes are opaque , but only once a day , lightly , and with hot water (hot water sprays out of the nozzle as warm water) . Theirs no need for oil of any kind ever. Some have used mineral oil to treat mites, but theirs much better ways to take care of that - with the exception of using a Q-tip with a little oil around the eye sockets, where mites tend to harbor.

Comment

1st lesson....never listen to the people at the pet store......lol.

Comment

I thought my baby boa was shedding cause his eyes looked a little cloudy, and his colors were not as clear and vibrant as before. Then, a couple days later his eyes looked normal, I thought I was mistaken about him shedding. Then today, his water dish has his old skin in it, all in one piece.

I am a new owner, but I am finding the key to boas seems to be to give them time. I thought mine was shedding at first, then I thought he wasn't, and he really was, which explains why he wasn't eating.

I'd say just make sure the tank is 60 humidity, and give it some time.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny View Post
            I thought my baby boa was shedding cause his eyes looked a little cloudy, and his colors were not as clear and vibrant as before. Then, a couple days later his eyes looked normal, I thought I was mistaken about him shedding. Then today, his water dish has his old skin in it, all in one piece.

I am a new owner, but I am finding the key to boas seems to be to give them time. I thought mine was shedding at first, then I thought he wasn't, and he really was, which explains why he wasn't eating.

I'd say just make sure the tank is 60 humidity, and give it some time.

Yes , their eyes do cllear up for 2-3 days before shedding .

Comment

Her eyes turned two days ago and she has been hiding ever since, she has never hid since the day i bought her is this normal? I went to pick her up and i couldn't see her face, once she was in my hands she felt like she was holding on for dear life and kept rubbing the palm of my hand with her face, she has never acted like this before so i looked closer and that is when i noticed her eyes. I automatically put her back in her cage, well tried, she would not let go of me and just kept hitting at the palm of my hand. She wasn't trying to bite i don't know exactly what she was doing. I actually had to pull her off of me and once i did she went under some leaves and hid. She hasn't really moved from this spot, maybe a couple times that i've noticed. I was just worried that i freaked her out or something. I am a newbie, and i probaly worry to much but i like to ask questions from someone who has been through this and not just read text from a book.

Comment

I still consider myself a newbi because I got my boas on nov 8th but they both have shed once since. I noticed their eyes were cloudy for about 3-4 days then it would clear up. On that day I put them in warm water bath in my sink. Then about 2-3 days later I saw the skin in the tank. I made a post about shedding when my first boa's eyes were cloudy and they told me they usually shed at night or in a hidden place. So she mayb hiding so she can shed in private. They all have different personalities, because one of my boas loved the warm water bath and the other kept trying to escape. Just make sure the humidity is around 60%.

Comment

When they are beginning to shed they will rub their nose on something to start the process. It sounds as if that is what your boa may have been trying to do. They also will sometimes "yawn" to stretch the skin and release it to begin the shedding process. Do you have anything in the tank for her to use? Pictures of your enclosure would help.
                  http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

This is my tank, its a terrarium with a screen top. The left side is where i have the heat lamp and it usually stays around 95 degrees, the right side is cooler usually around 80-82 degrees. My humidity is pretty steady around 60 except twice a day i will spray the tank and it will go up to about 70 but not for long. Sometimes in the morning when i check on her it has gone down to 55 but after i spray it its okay until the next morning. Usually she stays up in the tree on the left side but since her eyes turned she's been staying on the bottom. The tree has a space in the bottom with a hole she can go thru and she pretty much stays right there. I have a pic of that also. Her eyes cleared up today.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Give her a warm water bath/soak today for about 20min, then pat dry. She should loose her skin within the next couple of days. This has been what works for my girls.

Comment

just keep your humidity on point and you'll have no problems. I only soak mine if they are having a problem like their tail tips or something. but if your levels are good you'll have no problems. Their eyes turn blue then go away then about 2 or 3 days later you'll find their shed. When mine are sheding they seem to stay in their hides more. So everything sound pretty normal to me. O and don't trust the pet shops some of them people are idiots. Follow the ulimate care guide (posted on the left) and you'll have very little problems.

Comment

I have another question, i have to many questions. I just want to get this right the first time cause i'm already ready to get another one, she is awesome! When she sheds how long should i wait until i feed her again?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemyredtail View Post
                            I have another question, i have to many questions. I just want to get this right the first time cause i'm already ready to get another one, she is awesome! When she sheds how long should i wait until i feed her again?
                            Your Boa is perfectly fine...my boas are on a feeding schedule...and usually they have completed the shedding process within a week or week and a half from there last feeding...I feed them either the day they shed or the day after...depending on when I get home to see that they actually shed...

Wait for your boas eyes to turn back to normal then you may soak her for 10 min....no more...soaking for prolonged periods of time will actually remove essential oils in there skin.....This is actually a very simple process and since you have a glass tank I would suggest that once you notice her eyes turning white, that you start lightly misting her body twice a day with hot water in the mister...By the time it makes contact with her it will be warm...and she will shed perfect...

Comment

okay i think she shed either sometime last night or today. She does look a little bit different in color but the skin i found there is definately something wrong. It was in 4 different pieces and was wet and rolled up it was almost like it was chewed up and spit back out if you get what i'm saying. She was soaking in her dish when i left this morning and when i came back she was up in her tree where she hasn't been in like a week so i'm guessing maybe she shed while i was gone but i just don't know what is up with the old skin i mean that can't be right can it?

Comment

Working...
                              X