No announcement yet.

humidity 25 % for my boa help me!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] humidity 25 % for my boa help me!!!

hi, my name is Greg and one of my snakes is a central american boa.. and i cant seem to get his humidity higher than 25 %...ive tried a few different subtrates but nothin has helped...right now i have him on astro turf because its easier to clean than shavings in a 4 foot enclosure!! I think it could be the lid,because i built it!so any suggestions on raising the humidity? also ideas for building a lid that holds temps better. i have other snakes but he is my first boa! so any help is appreciated! thanks

Re: humidity 25 % for my boa help me!!!

what kind of lid you talking about? a screen? screen wont hold humidity. you might try stapling/taping 80% of the lid off (if not 90%~) with plastic. the air won't stale as long as it can be refreshed and you dont need mass airflow.

also some people recommend taking a wet wash cloth/papertowel (though the more absorbant the better) and placing it inside the tank. I like to use my squirt bottle. The ones with the nozzel that can do jet or spray. I just spray the cages down 2 times a day, 3 or 4 if they are blued up in shed.

I wouldn't worry about substrate for your humidity but cypress holds humidity very well. it's also cheap but yeah in a 4 foot cage its kind of a pain ecspecially if your snake poops a lot. I used a shop vac to suck most of the cypress out when I was testing it out and it only took about 1 minute with a shop vac.

Probably the easiest method is to get a big water bowl and place it on your heat source, but in order to hold the humidity you need to not let all your air out so .... work on your lid for now. block it off.

Comment

spraying the enclosure with hot water in a spray bottle will raise the humidity quick. this needs to be done periodically. covering part of the top helps also if its screened. There are care guides on the left side of the screen on the home page, they might help.

Comment

Spraying the cage don't last very long and I'm sure you can't stand there with a bottle and spray all day. I had probs w/ hum. Get a large towel and soak the entire towel. Wring it till it drips a little but not too much. Place it over the entire lid of the tank and leave enough space for your lamps. I take the towel off and wet it every morning and night. This has kept my humidity up btween 50 & 65%. I've attached a pic to show you what I mean.
        Attached Files

Comment

thanks for the helpful advice!! the towel thing ive tried.. his water dish is under his heat lamp right now....but i think i might try the plastic idea! thank you
          heres a pic of his enclosure!
          Attached Files

Comment

I've covered the lid with plastic at one time and I've tried tapeing foil to the inside as well. Then I put a water bowl directly on top of the uth and they also had their cool water bowl on the other side. That worked for me for a little while. So that may work for you. Good luck. You have built a nice cage.

Comment

I just put his second water bowl on the heatpad (thiers one on the cool side aswell)see if this works...thanks.

Comment

switched over to Eco earth substrate,,,and it sits at about 50% with no misting! I like this subtrate! thanks for any replies!

Comment

First off, the best thing to do is get a boaphile. They are wonderful! If that is not a option which may I add is only a 200.00 cage, then here are some tips.

Get rid of the light and use flexwatt or a UTH on the one side. Belly heat is better in my opinion. Hook it up to a theromostate and set the desired hot spot temp. Cover the entire closure with plexy glass with maybe a few holes drilled in but not many since you can always drill more. On my boaphile, there is only a 1/8 gap around the opening and it is perfect. The difference in my cage is it is a front opening cage so the heat would not escape the top so as I said, drill only a few holes. This showld help and if your not getting enough heat, you can always use a heat pad that sticks to the side of the cage as well. As I have said before, the best would be to get a plastic cage like a boaphile.

Good luck.

Comment

I do have a undertank heater,,the light is for daylight cause it stays kinda dark in my house!thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X