Sphagnum Moss Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Substrate] Sphagnum Moss Question

I have a neonate (3 month old) brazilian rainbow boa. I keep her enclosure at about 85% humidity with a hide box at about 95%+. The hide box has sphagnum moss in it and she spends majority of her time either in that or under the cypress bedding.

I change the cypress once a week to avoid mold and i'm changing the moss about every 2-3 days to avoid mold as well. Am I changing the moss too often, how long will sphagnum moss last before growing mold at 95%+ humidity?

Re: Sphagnum Moss Question

Scottie..for one i think the reason u are having a hard time with "mold" is due to ur HIGH humidity levels...try and get them down a bit to maybe 60s-70s...i don't really know why you would want them at 95+. Also if ur boa is hiding in the moss hide or the bedding...try adding another hide that doesnt have the moss in it to give it another option. Good luck!
    Ernest

www.magikboas2011.wix.com/home Where you will find Available Boas to my Magik BBQ Sauce!

Comment

Yeah, I agree with Ernest, 95% in the humid hide is one thing, but 85% for the ambient is too high.

But to answer your direct question: Sphagnum should last about a month before you need to change it out, maybe six weeks.
      "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

I'm not having any issues with mold, i've never even seen any. I'm just trying to avoid any from growing.

Neonates should be kept at or near 95%+ humidity.
        rainbows-r-us-reptiles.com

Comment

Working...
        X