This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I doing wrong...Shedding Problems

I have a 3 yr old BCI that I rescued backin Oct 02, she has gone through shed 3 times since with the last one just last night 1/15/03.

She sheds in many peices. I thought this time all would go fine but it didn't.

Husbandry : warm 86-89 cool 74-79 Humidity 60%+ normally, during blue 75%+.

I soak her the day she starts blue and everyother day until she is out of blue. Then I try not to handle her at all so I don't dry her out with my hands etc...until she is done shedding. It never fails with all that I do to help nothing seems to be working. I still have to soak her to get rid of the rest of her shed. I am at loss, what I else I can do to help her shed better.

She is not dehydrated as I see her drink from her water source and when she is soaking, plus when I feed her F/T they are soaking wet also.

All advice is welcomed and wanted!!!! Thank you, Jamie

Re: What am I doing wrong...Shedding Problems

At this point, I'd say be patient. What was the husbandry like with the last parent? I went through the same thing with my python that I rescued. The last owner did not keep very good husbandry, (temps at varient degrees, open lid, no humidity, heat rock, etc....) and so he shed in hundreds of pieces. It took about 4-5 months of keeping the humidity at normal levels, except when he was in blue then it was higher, and soaking him before he had his first full shed. He still has trouble keeping the head connected to the body, but it's all there. Just keep doing what you're doing, you seem to be doing just fine. s30.gif b27.gif

Comment

Husbandry from last parent was nil. I asked him what the husbandry was for her and he said "I have not bred her yet."

So I guess that will tell you a little, I do know she was in a ten gallon tank screen top with a uth that was not in use and a black light 40 watts for heat (not enough), tank was filthy and no water, and to top it off she was on pine shavings :-X

She has many fold lines along her sides which I think is most of the problem as her scales are not laying flat. But I could be wrong. I am going to continue with soaks, misting and keep the humidity up this time with all hopes for a better shed next time. Thanks for all the input and advice. Jamie

Comment

No problem. It'll take some time for things go get back to "normal", but it'll happen. Just keep taking care of him and showing him as much love and care as you would a new born child. He will come out of it and be healthy. This is a good site to ask questions and get answers, so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. We will all try to assist.

Comment

Hi Jamie

She has many fold lines along her sides which I think is most of the problem as her scales are not laying flat. But I could be wrong.
          HMM.. Have seen this in many snakes that were kept in small caging and also ones that were not taken care of properly too. It will "straighten' out over time with proper husbandry btw. Also YES it can have a dorect affect on the sheds not coming off in one piece too..UGH.

Just like evil says though, sounds like your on the right track with this snake now. Just keep it all up and in time you will see a difference. Might take awhile though. the longer a snake is not kept at optimal conditions, the longer it will take to reverse what's come about from such is all.

As for this one...

I asked him what the husbandry was for her and he said "I have not bred her yet."
          ROFLMAO!!! Umm... OOOO.K Sounds like this snake is MUCH better off with you now imo. ;D

Comment

Well I have added my web page to my profile, so if you would like to see the pictures, I recommend looking through them as a slide show and stopping on the pictures they are full sized when you look at them that way. Thank you for all you replies.

But 1 more ?, Please

Should I keep up the humidity to help retain moisture for her scales or should I lower it to help the healing process for her facial wound? It is looking much better today. No redness what so ever and not so angry. Will keep all posted on how the healing goes and the next shed. Jamie

Comment

Facial wound ??? You didn't mention any facial wound. What happened? As far as the humidity. Keep it at a constent of 50-60% humidity during normal times. Only increase it during blue, when she needs it the most.

Comment

Whoops! I'm bad got confused with which forum I was on. I have been posting ? regarding a facial wound that I found on my BCI when she shed and I had to remove the remainder of her shed a small piece of shed was attatched to a scab that I could not see nor even knew it was there. Anyway I have pics on my web page. Sorry that I forgot to mention that in this post. But this sore is very new like within the last 6 days or so. She is looking better today and the sore is not so red and is healing.

I gues from now on I should stick to one forum for Q & A's.

Thanks Jamie

Comment

First of all, DO NOT PEEL OFF OR FORCE OFF REMAINING SHED!! If it is not ready to come off it could injure the snake. Whether it has a scab or not. Kind of like when you bite off dead skin from your finger tips, if you've ever done that before. If the skin is not completely dead or you bite down too far, it really hurts and may bleed. With a snake, if the shed piece is not ready to come off on it's own, it could remove a scale. I'm not saying that you hurt the girl. Just a pre-warning for future experiences. The only shed that may have to be removed if it does not completely come off is the eye cap. I would reccomend using a piece of scotch tape to remove that, so that no force is really applied to the eye itself.

Comment

Well just to put you at ease... I did not pull it off, I soaked her and let her go through a wet wash cloth to remove the rest of her shed, like I do every time she sheds, and that is when it came off. It is healing very nicely and I can't wait until it does heal all the way. I just hope that I will not hinder her sheds down the road. Thanks for the concern and good luck in all your indevers.
                    Jamie

Comment

It may not hinder future sheds, once it heals completely. My Boa has a lovely little scar (sarcasism s21a.gif) on her back from (we think) a previous run in with a rat. It doesn't hinder her sheds one bit, since we've had her. So, I would assume that once your's heals completely, her sheds should be fine. Good luck with everything. s30.gif s12.gif

Comment

Working...
                      X